Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Brown Sugar Glazed Pork Chops with "Smashed" Potatoes


I love saying smashed potatoes. When I was younger I couldn't say "mashed" so I called them smashed. If I've been drinking I have to make a conscious effort to say mashed instead of smashed. But, that's a story for another time.

These pork chops were so good. I don't' use my broiler as often as I should, but every time I do I've got some moist, delicious food coming outta there. I forget to give my broiler some love, but it always loves me back, so I think I'll start using it some more.

Brown Sugar Glazed Pork Chops
(Adapted from Everyday Food)

4 bone-in pork loin chops
1/4 c. packed light-brown sugar
1 T. Dijon mustard
Salt
Pepper

Heat broiler to high (if you're lucky enough to have that option). Line a baking or broiling pan with aluminum foil.

Season pork chops with salt and a teeny bit of pepper. In a bowl, combine brown sugar and Dijon mustard. Mix well to create a thick, delicious glaze.

Broil pork chops until lightly browned, about 8 minutes. If looking a little pale, wait one more minute. Spread brown sugar glaze over the pork chops on top. Broil 1-2 more minutes. Glaze should not start sizzling and getting too sticky. Check after 1 minute to be sure glaze isn't burning.

Notes:


  • I used regular old brown sugar and the glaze wasn't as light as the one from my magazine, but it was still mighty tasty.

  • Be sure to mix your glaze well! If you don't combine the sugar and Dijon mustard you'll end up with a gloppy mixture.

  • For my oven, the times were just perfect. Definitely check on your pork chops so they don't burn or crisp.

  • The Dijon mustard packs a bit of a punch, so really try not to over season your pork chops with pepper.

  • I got this from the 9/2008 issue of Everyday Food.

  • We ate this with mashed red potatoes and green beans. It's a great weeknight meal if you're in a hurry.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! These look awesome, perfect for a quick weeknight meal. Did you broil on both sides for a total of 8 minutes, or just on one side? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::