Sunday, January 11, 2009

Chicken Stir Fry

Not a good picture. Oops.
Stir Fry, a.k.a. We Need To Clean Out The Fridge. Tonight was totally a "I don't want to cook because I'm tired and I'd rather just order Chinese" kind of night. I came really close to picking up the phone when I remembered we had a ton of produce just hanging out in the crisper and it'd go bad if we didn't use it. Normally I'd make a pot pie or shepherd's pie but I didn't really feel like going to great lengths to do either. When I'm faced with a "clean out the fridge night" I typically run to stir frys because they're so easy and they're a really wonderful way to use up some spare vegetables.

Chicken Stir Fry

1 lb. chicken, cut into bite size pieces (I used tenderloins)
3 carrots, chopped into 1-inch pieces
3 ribs celery, chopped into 1-inch pieces
1 head broccoli, chopped into bite size pieces (I used just the florets and tossed the stems)
1 red bell pepper, julienne
1 green pepper, julienne
2 c. snow peas
2 heads garlic, minced
3 T. olive oil
Stir Fry sauce

Heat a large skillet or wok to high heat. Add olive oil and heat it till smoking or almost smoking.

Add carrots and stir constantly for 3-4 minutes. Add celery and stir constantly 3-4 minutes, just long enough to add some color to the vegetables.

Add chicken to skillet. Heat, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes. Add broccoli, snow peas, red and green peppers, and garlic. Stir 1 minute.

Cover pan or wok for 5 minutes. Do not stir.

Remove cover, add enough stir fry sauce to taste while stirring, and heat for 1-2 more minutes. Vegetables should be brightly colored and crisp-tender.

Remove from heat. Serve immediately.

Notes:
  • Meals like this are great for nights like tonight when I'm in a hurry or don't feel like cooking, or feel like vegging on the couch, watching the Golden Globes, and eating chocolate cake...:-\
  • You can use almost any vegetables you have on hand. Carrots, in my opinion, aren't great for stir frys because they take longer to break down, but we've got to get rid of them somehow so I threw some in.
  • You can also add some chopped or canned tomatoes for contrast. Add them in at the very end, just long enough to heat through.
  • I served this with rice, but chow mein or rice noodles would be great, or lo mein noodles. Mmmm...lo mein noodles....
  • I typically throw in some soy sauce toward the end, but if you're trying to cut back on salt...don't. Soy sauce will harden your arteries faster than concrete.

1 comment:

  1. Um, you're going to submit this recipe to the Wine & Dine event where we're highlighting Chinese cuisine right? :) Details are in my blog's left sidebar.

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::