Sunday, February 22, 2009

Ashlee's Sugar Cookies



I've heard so much about these cookies that I just had to try them. Ashlee's cookies are famous! Everyone who's tried them agrees that the flavor is awesome and they're great for rolling out and decorating.

Graham considers himself a sugar cookie afficionado, so I was looking for a recipe he'd enjoy. He gave me (and Ashlee) two thumbs up on this recipe! What I like about the cookies is exactly what Ashlee likes: they're not too crispy, not too sweet (so they can be easily decorated with icing and not be overly sugary), and the flavor is straightforward, but there's something that makes you go 'Hmm...'

Lately I've been having issues with my sugar cookies, but I've already asked Ash for her input, and hopefully I won't have anymore problems.

Ashlee's Sugar Cookies
(Ashlee's recipe)

1 1/2 cups butter
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup powdered sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1 tbsp. lemon zest
5 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
Powdered sugar, for rolling

Preheat oven to 400 F. Cream butter and sugars together for 5 minutes.
Add in eggs one at a time, mixing thoroughly before adding next egg.

Add in vanilla, almond extract, and lemon zest and beat together for 10 seconds. Add baking powder and salt, and beat for 10 seconds.

Add in flour to mixture, 1 c. at a time. Mix for 15 seconds between each cup of flour. Try not to over-mix; this process should take about one minute.

Chill dough for up to a week in the fridge, or roll out and cut right away.
Bake on a parchment lined cookie sheet for about 7 minutes, or until golden brown on the bottom.

2 comments:

  1. I have yet to make this but its on my list to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love sugar cookies, they're my favorite. I like the addition of lemon zest in this version!

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::