Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Baked Parm-Garlic Chicken



I hate my blog pictures, but they're the best I can do. This one looks terrible, but sadly, I'm not one of those bloggers who spends hours taking pictures in a lightbox or at interesting angles. I just don't have that much energy to put into my blog. Forgive me, okay?

After I posted the recipe for Joelen's Spinach and Artichoke Chicken, I was anxious to try something similar. Actually, I'm anxious to make her recipe again, but I didn't have all the necessary ingredients laying around. So, I improvised with what I had. We were happy with the results, but I'm still not satisfied. I'm going to try this again sometime with some modifications because some of the flavors were a little too strong. I'll get to that soon. For now, the recipe.

Baked Parmesan-Garlic Chicken

4 boneless-skinless chicken breasts
1 c. Italian breadcrumbs
1/3 c. grated Parmesan cheese
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 T. olive oil
1/2 tsp. salt plus extra for tasting
Pepper (to taste)
1/4 c. fresh basil, minced
1/4 c. mayo

Preheat oven to 400 F. Lightly salt and pepper chicken to taste. Mix bread crumbs, cheese, garlic, olive oil, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Combine basil and mayo in a small bowl. Mix well and spread evenly over chicken breasts. Sprinkle bread crumb-parm mixture over mayo/chicken to create a crust.

Bake chicken uncovered in a 13 x 9 in. baking dish at 400 for 20 minutes, or until bread crumbs are brown and chicken is cooked through.

Notes:
  • The basil was a bit too much for the chicken. I think next time I'll mix some lemon juice with the mayo and cut the basil in half. I felt like it was too much basil and not enough of the other flavors.
  • The Italian breadcrumbs were nice, but I think using Panko (lightly toasted) would give the chicken a nicer, crispier-sounding texture.
  • Another option would be to replace the mayo with Dijon mustard and omit the basil entirely. However, I've got another recipe in my arsenal that uses Dijon in the same way, so I'm not sure that it's "original" if I'm just changing the name.
  • Mixing the mayo with sour cream and/or cream cheese might also help with texture and flavor.
  • This was great paired with a risotto and green salad.

3 comments:

  1. This looks great and I can't wait to eat meat again next week so I can cook chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We made this last week & loved it! I'm doing a post about it on my blog and linking to you : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was so good! I tweaked it and did half mayo and half cream cheese. Also, do you live near a Trader Joe's? I used their frozen fresh basil cubes (3 of them) adn the taste was really mellow. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::