Friday, February 20, 2009

Cheddar-Herb Beer Bread


I didn't make chili or beer bread for the Super Bowl because we weren't hosting. But ever since I made chili a few weeks ago I'd had a taste for it and I decided to make a beer bread to go along with it instead of rolls or cornbread.

Cheddar-Herb Beer Bread
(Adapted from Joelen's recipe)

3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar
12 oz. beer
1 teaspoon chili or cayenne powder
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Combine, starting with dry ingredients, and mix well. Pour into greased loaf pan. Bake at 375 F. for 50-55 minutes.

Notes:
  • I used a dark beer, so the color was a little darker than the picture I had to work from, but otherwise it was great!
  • This smelled great while baking and paired beautifully with the chili. It's a great beginning recipe for those just starting with quick breads.

5 comments:

  1. I love your adaptations and I'll have to try using dark beer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a winner and it looks delicious. Perfect pairing for soup!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a great receipe. I have never made bread before and I think I could do this. DH loves beer so he should love this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this last night and it was really good. DH liked it. The only thing he asked is for me to leave out the sugar next time. I told him I don't know if that will mess the receipe up but I will try it.

    Thanks for this easy receipe

    ReplyDelete
  5. I finally tried this over the weekend. Yum!

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::