Friday, February 6, 2009

Need to AW my haul

Forgive the blurry-eyed look of this photo; I took a bunch of photos and while this isn't the clearest, it's definitely the brightest. Our kitchen and "den" (as hubby calls it) were nice and bright but all the pictures were coming out dark. Like I said, I need to figure out this camera thing.

Anywho, the other night I had to run to the mall to pick up a birthday gift for my sister. I also wandered into Bed, Bath, and Beyond to buy a belated wedding gift for a friend (sorry Liz). For Christmas, Graham gave me a BBB gift card so I could get something kitchen/gadget related from my list of goodies. I haven't been to a shopping mall since before Christmas, so I didn't have a good excuse to use my gc until this week.

I hate to admit that I had a harder time trying to decide how to use my gc than I did picking out Liz's gift. I'm a greedy little girl that way. But I found some great bargains thanks to our craptastic economy (Hey! Something good is coming out of this wicked mess!) and put my gc to good use. I picked up:

  • A French rolling pin. I really don't give a hoot if it's French, Italian, Portugese, Irish, Chinese, or Tahitian, but I needed a rolling pin. When we were registering for our wedding I said, "I don't need a rolling pin! My mom never needed one, and I don't know what I'd use it for..." Then a week after our wedding, before Christmas 2007, I remembered why my mom never used a rolling pin: my mom doesn't bake. Rolling out cookie dough with a glass was a fabulous experience, lemme tell ya! Since then I've avoided recipes that called for rolling out dough or using a rolling pin because I didn't have one. I also didn't ask for one for Christmas because I was afraid of getting the wrong one. A rolling pin was something I needed to test drive for myself. I'm glad I got the one I did; I really didn't like the little handles on the others.
  • A cake/cookie decorating set! For $7! Okay, so it's not the best in the world and if it ever becomes something I want to do more often I'll probably have to get better bags, but for the time being I think it will work just fine. I'm looking forward to making frosted cakes and cupcakes now. I'll have to get some practice in before Easter!
  • Pinch bowls! Seriously, you have no idea how excited I am about these. 3 large and 4 small. Not having them has been an inconvienence and I've been using some crappy old plastic stuff we have leftover from college, but these will be much better. (And maybe now we can get rid of the old crappy stuff!)
  • An oven liner. When we moved in, our oven was GROSS. Really gross. So gross that the smoke detector went off everytime I started the oven. We've been good about cleaning the oven since then, but I'm a klutz and always manage to spill something in the oven. This is going to save us a lot of work and time now that we won't have to awkwardly scrub out the oven once a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::