Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Shrimp Scampi with Linguini



I last made shrimp scampi in August, and while I loved it, it was far too lemony for Graham. I haven't made it since then because I keep getting distracted by other recipes I wanted to try. Seeing as today's Ash Wednesday and we can't eat meat, I figured it was the perfect time to try this a second time.

This was really good, but I wasn't in love like I was last time. I made some modifications based on Graham's likes and dislikes, but hopefully next time we'll find a happy medium.

Shrimp Scampi
(Adapted from Ina Garten)

1 lb. linguini
4 T. butter, divided
4 T. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
2 shallots, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined
Salt and pepper
1/2 c. dry white wine
Juice of 1 lemon
1/2 c. frozen peas
1/4 c. chopped parsley

Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Add a few tablespoons salt and the pasta. Cook for 8-9 minutes, or until pasta is al dente. Drain, reserve, and keep warm.

In a large skillet, melt 2 T. butter in 2 T. olive oil over medium-high heat. Saute the shallots and garlic until the shallots are translucent, approx. 3 minutes.

Season the shrimp with salt and pepper. Add to pan and cook until they're pink, 2-3 minutes per side. Work in batches if necessary. Remove to from pan, set aside, and keep warm.

Remove pan from heat and add wine and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Add remaining butter and olive oil. Return shrimp to pan and stir to warm through and cover with butter sauce. Add parsley and and peas. Mix well and season with salt and pepper if necessary. Warm through and serve immediately.

Notes:
  • I liked the mixture of wine and lemon juice, I just wanted a little more brightness. I need to find a middle ground of wine and lemon.
  • Note to self: don't wait till Ash Wednesday to get shrimp or you'll be forced to get shrimp with tails again. Not cool, Ange, not cool.
  • I wanted the sauce to be a little thicker, so adding flour or cornstarch to the butter is definitely an option.
  • Last time I used angel hair pasta, but the linguini pairs nicely with the shrimp. It's a little thicker and doesn't get overwhelmed with the size of the shrimp.
  • I left out the red pepper flakes, but they taste great when they're sauted with the shallots and garlic.

3 comments:

  1. My step-MIL made shrimp scampi when she was in town in Nov. I LOVED it and haven't been able to recreate it just like she did. This looks similar I am going to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm shrimp and pasta - you can't go wrong with that combo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum...Looks great! I'm going to add this to my recipes for next week :-)

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::