Monday, February 16, 2009

Steak Bites


I bookmarked these steak bites a few weeks ago and have been meaning to make them ever since. I have a steak bites recipe of my own but wanted to try this other recipe (that's less labor intensive) for comparison's sake, but I had to make a few adaptations.

These come from The Pioneer Woman. I really like the idea, and the resulting flavor is pretty good, but I don't like the idea of using so much butter. See my notes for changes, etc.

PW's Steak Bites

2-1 lb. sirloin steaks, fat trimmed off
2 T. butter, divided
Salt
Lemon-Pepper seasoning
Red wine
1 clove garlic, minced

Slice the steaks into 1 inch pieces. Sprinkle lightly with salt and lemon-pepper. Add garlic. Toss to coat well.

Heat a skillet over high heat. Melt 1 T. butter until it is browned, but not black. Add half the beef in a single layer and brown well for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Flip and brown on other side for 30 seconds. Remove to platter. Repeat with second half of beef.

Add remaining T. butter and melt. Remove pan from heat and add red wine (approx 1 T. because I didn't really measure, I just added till I was happy (which means it was probably way more than 1 T.)). Whisk together. Pour sauce over beef and serve immediately.

Notes:
  • I really liked the simplicity here. Tossing the beef into the pan for just a few seconds browns it quickly but keeps it tender. What I dislike is all the butter.
  • I love lemon-pepper, and I'm not sure why I don't use it more. These would be AWESOME with Montreal Steak Seasoning. Yum.
  • A pinch of red pepper flakes would be great with these; they'd add a nice bit of heat without overpowering the steak.
  • Don't season before slicing your steak or you'll corrode your knives!
  • If you use the lemon-pepper, a squeeze of lemon juice over the top would be great just before serving. Mmmm...

1 comment:

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::