Sunday, March 8, 2009

Buttermilk-Chive Mashed Potatoes



I made these to go alongside the Gaelic Steak I served tonight. They were pretty good and a really nice distraction from my normal mashed potato recipe. The buttermilk adds a nice tang, but I could do without the smell. Blech! I spilled a little bit on the counter when I was prepping and yikes! That's a smell I can do without for a long time.

These also came from The Irish Spirit, and overall I was really pleased. They were very reminiscent of one of my favorite sides in Ireland, and I'm looking forward to having them again this week.

Buttermilk-Chive Mashed Potatoes
(Adapted from The Irish Spirit)

3 lbs. baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/8ths.
1/2 c. (one stick) unsalted Kerrygold Irish butter, cut into pieces
1 c. buttermilk
1/4 c. half and half
1 tsp. dried thyme
3 T. dried or fresh chives, minced
salt and pepper, to taste

Boil the potatoes in a large pot of salted water for 15-20 minutes, or until fork tender. Drain, then return to pot.

Over low heat, mash the potatoes, allowing all steam to escape. Mash potatoes until almost smooth, and then add the butter, buttermilk, half and half, thyme, and chives. Mash and stir until well combined.

Taste. Add salt and pepper, approx. 1 tsp. each. Stir or mash well, then taste again. Adjust seasonings as necessary.

Notes:
  • I think these would be great with red potatoes as well.
  • Sour cream would add a similar flavor to the buttermilk and none of the smell. While it doesn't smell bad, there's a definite something there (or maybe I should stop sniffing my potatoes and eat them).
  • I sprinkled in a little garlic powder and it really helped brighten the flavors. Garlic, thyme, and chives all work really well together.

3 comments:

  1. Mmm - now you have given me a reason to get some buttermilk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad I can't have buttermilk! Sound yummy, though!

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::