Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Chicken Provencal



I had been wanting to learn how to make something Provencal for a long while now but I never had time, and I didn't have the "right" recipe. I finally decided to bite the bullet and attempt this recipe once I'd learned bit about Provence and the cuisine found in that area of France.

One thing I noticed is that because it's almost directly between France and Greece is that the food is reflective of that relationship and therefore relies heavily on olive oil, herbs, garlic, seafood, lamb, and plenty of local produce. Keeping this in mind, I realize this recipe isn't an exact representation of Provencal-style cuisine, but it was my first attempt, and everyone's got to start somewhere, right?

This recipe in its original form is found here.

Chicken Provencal

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
Salt and pepper
2 T. Extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
1 clove garlic, minced
1 c. chicken stock
1 1/2 tsp. Herbs de Provence
1 T. butter
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 T. dry white wine

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Season chicken with salt and pepper. Brush with olive oil. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.

Pour olive oil into a saucepan and heat till near smoking. Add garlic for one minute and cook, stirring constantly.

Add broth and Herbs de Provence. Bring to a boil and cook until mixture reduces to 1/2 c., approx. 3 minutes.

Add butter, lemon juice, and wine, stirring until butter melts and mixture is well-combined.

Serve sauce over chicken. Serve immediately.

Notes:
  • The original recipe called for sauteing the chicken, but the stove was already crowded with the broth pot and my risotto. Baking the chicken freed up some space on the stove and was a slightly healthier alternative to cooking in oil.
  • I wasn't totally wowed by this recipe. I think I need to find one that's a little more authentic until I'm happy. That being said, this wasn't a bad recipe for my first try.
  • I served this with vegetable risotto and a green salad. Dee-licious. Yum.
  • If you don't have Herbs de Provence, make your own! A bit of marjoram, a little rosemary, and some thyme and you've pretty much got the mixture down. Don't add too much rosemary, though, or you'll taste ONLY rosemary. Much as I love it....well, I don't love it that much.
  • This would be great served over pasta or a basmati rice. It was really tender and delicious, but it needs some kind of flavorful side to get it over the top.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds delicious and a great new chicken recipe to try. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::