Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Chops in Locke's


This, my friends, is lamb. I've always liked lamb, but Graham had never had it. I had to at least try this! I figured it'd be hit or miss with him. Unfortunately for me, it was miss. He didn't like the taste, and I over-cooked it just a bit and I think that contributed to his dislike. I didn't even think about over-cooking, but it was definitely done and then some. Oh well, live and learn.
This meal was one of our last in my week and a half marathon of Irish meals. It comes from the cookbook The Irish Spirit, by Margaret M. Johnson.
Chops in Locke's
(Adapted from The Irish Spirit)
1/2 c. Irish whiskey, preferably Locke's
3/4 c. olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 small onion, diced
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1 sprig fresh rosemary
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper
1/2 tsp. ginger
2 lamb cutlets, chops, or steaks
In a plastic bag, mix together whiskey, olive oil, garlic, onion, thyme, rosemary, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper (to taste), and ginger. Mix well to combine. Add lamb, cover lamb with marinade, and refrigerate for at least 12 hours, turning occasionally to marinate lamb completely.
Preheat the broiler. Remove the lamb from the marinade. Broil for 5 minutes per side. Brush with marinade upon turning the meat. Serve immediately.
Notes:
  • I made a little extra marinade when I prepped it and brushed that over the lamb instead of the used marinade. I figured it was safer. I'm sure I probably could have boiled it to kill the bacteria, but it took no more than 2 seconds to mix the second marinade.
  • I marinated overnight and all day, so the lamb was really tender when dinner time came. Prep and cleanup was a snap, too.
  • I served this with crushed potatoes and they paired marvelously.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::