Sunday, March 15, 2009

Crab Cakes



I took a short break from Irish Foods week because nothing in my Irish cookbooks struck me as interesting for this week's Meatless Friday. Ahh, Catholocism...

A few months ago I had the idea to make crab cakes, but I decided to hold off until a Friday in Lent. Graham wasn't sure if he liked crab meat or not because he'd never had it, and I knew that if he tried it and didn't like it, I'd have to try something else for one of our meatless Fridays. If he tried it and liked it, then we were okay.

These were really good, but reeeeeeeeeeeally labor intensive. I like some of the elements of this recipe, especially the filling. But all the work made me not want to eat them in the end. I'll have to experiment with some different recipes to make these work, and maybe make them a little more figure-friendly. The original recipe is here.

2 T. olive oil
1 small onion, diced small
1 small red bell pepper, diced small
1 small yellow bell pepper, diced small
2 stalks celery, diced small
2 gloves garlic, diced small
1 lb. lump crab meat, picked for cartilage
2 green onions/scallions, diced small
1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese
2 T. parsley, finely chopped
2 T. Dijon mustard
4 T. lemon juice
2 eggs
3 1/2 c. vegetable oil, divided.
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 c. bread crumbs, divided
1 T. water

In a large pan over medium heat, heat olive oil. Add onion, celery, and bell peppers. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Saute for 5 mintues, or until soft. Add garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes, until soft. Remove pan from heat and allow to cool slightly.

In a bowl, combine crab meat, grated cheese, green onions, parsley, mustard, and 2 T. lemon juice. Mix well and set aside.

In a food processor with a metal blade, mix 1 egg and 2 T. lemon juice for approx. 1 minute. With the food processor running, slowly add 1/2 c. vegetable oil. Add Worcestershire sauce and pulse a few times to incorporate. Season the mixture with salt and pepper and set aside.

Take sauted vegetables and mix together with crab mixture. Mix in 1/2 c. oil/egg/lemon mixture and 3/4 c. bread crumbs with vegetable/crab mixture. Mix well to incorporate.

In 3 shallow bowls, place flour, egg, and bread crumbs. Whisk egg with 1 T. water to create a wash. Season flour or bread crumbs with salt and pepper if desired. Take vegetable-crab filling and create medium-sized balls, and flatten balls into patties approximately 1-inch thick.

Pour remaining 3 c. oil into a saute pan and heat till sizzling, approx. 360 F. (Use a candy thermometer to find the temperature.) Dredge the patties in flour and shake off the excess. Complete the breading process by dipping in egg wash and coating completely in breadcrumbs. Fry the patties in the oil for 4-5 minutes per side

Notes:
  • The crab meat will release a lot of natural water and oil, in addition to the oil. It's a good idea to use a paper plate to catch some of that.
  • Toasted panko breadcrumbs would be a great coating for these, especially if you're looking for more crunch.
  • I made smaller crab cakes, so there was a decent amount of excess filling leftover. As smaller crab cakes, these would be an awesome appetizer.
  • I think next time I make these for us/me, I'll reduce the oil to just 1 c., or even just a few tablespoons so they're not quite so fried.
  • I left off the Creole seasoning blend Emeril suggests, and these still held a lot of flavor. I love that seasoning blend, but I decided to skip it this time, and I'm glad I did.

1 comment:

  1. those look AMAZING! I love me some crab cakes!

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::