Monday, March 30, 2009

Crockpot: Hirino Psito (slow-roasted pork)



Hey look! ANOTHER update! Crazy! Don't mind the crappy photo...clearly not updating for more than a week means that my "picture taking abilities" went out the window. This was the best of 5 photos I took. Blech. Oh well...on to the food!

I found this recipe on A Year of Crockpotting. If you haven't checked out that blog...do it now! Well, not now. Read my post first, then check her out. The blog author used her crockpot EVERY DAY during 2008. Can you believe it? And here I thought I used my crockpot more than the average person. She adapted the recipe from a Cat Cora recipe and I thought it looked interesting enough to try out. By now you all should know how much I love my crockpot. Have I mentioned lately how much I love my crockpot? Because I really do love my crockpot.

Anyway...we liked this. It's really interesting in terms of ingredients, and I had everything on hand already so I can probably throw this together just about anytime. I felt that the pork turned out a little dry, so I'll have to adjust the recipe for next time and shorten the cooking time.

Hirino Psito
(Adapted from Cat Cora and The Crockpot Lady)

3 lb. pork boneless pork roast
10 garlic cloves, peeled
3 bay leaves
1 tsp. sage
1 tsp. rosemary
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
1 T. brown sugar
1/4 c. Dijon mustard
1/4 c. honey
1/2 c. dried cranberries
1 12-oz. beer

Place roast in crockpot. Mix together dry spices (salt, pepper, sage, rosemary, and sugar) to create a dry rub and rub all over pork. Cover well so rub sticks all over roast.

Add garlic cloves, whole, to crockpot. Add Worcestershire, mustard, honey, and cranberries. Top roast with bay leaves. Pour in beer. Cook on low for 8-10 hours. Serve with rice or over cooked egg noodles.

Notes:
  • The pork just fell apart, which was awesome. I love tender, well-cooked pork.
  • Part of me wants to try Cat Cora's recipe, just to see the difference. Her recipe doesn't require the crockpot, but rather a few hours roasting in the oven. That means I'd need a free afternoon or a hubby who doesn't mind eating really late. Methinks the free afternoon is more likely. ;-)
  • In my bleary-eyed attempt to throw dinner in the crockpot at 6:00 this morning I misread the recipe and threw in 1/4 brown sugar. AWESOME. Actually, it wasn't too bad; I liked the flavor it left on the crust of the roast. I might keep that aspect of it!
  • Cat Cora suggests bourbon, not beer. I think beer was suggested by the Crockpot Lady because she had some that was gluten free or something. I definitely want to try bourbon, whiskey, or wine next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::