Monday, March 9, 2009

Crushed Potatoes


I served these alongside Chicken Cashel Blue, and they were delicious and ridiculously simple. I feel like a dummy for not thinking of them myself! These are so simple and so easy to customize. They'll definitely be making another appearance on our dinner table.

Crushed Potatoes
Adapted from The Irish Spirit

2 lbs. small potatoes, unpeeled (I used red new potatoes)
3 T. unsalted Kerrygold Irish butter, cut into pieces
2 T. extra-virgin olive oil
3 T. crumbled blue cheese OR 1 T. whole-grain mustard (both are optional)
Salt and pepper, to taste

Boil the potatoes in a large pot of boiling, saled water for 30 minutes or until fork tender. Drain. Return to the pot and turn heat to low to allow steam to escape.

Using a wooden spoon or potato masher, roughly crush the potatoes until they've reached the desired consistency. Stir in butter, oil, and cheese or mustard (if using). Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Notes:
  • I used blue cheese and I loved the way they paired with Chicken Cashel Blue. However, just about any cheese would be great with these.
  • If you missed my note the other night, I couldn't find Kerrygold Irish ANYTHING in my local stores, but regular butter seemed to work just fine.
  • Make sure you cook your potatoes until they are absolutely fork tender or you'll end up with lumps of hard, sorta-cooked potato. Not tummy friendly at all.
  • Tasting and stirring and stirring and tasting is really important with potatoes. They need salt, so don't be afraid to sprinkle it where you need it. Tasting as you go helps keep you from under- or over-salting the potatoes.

2 comments:

  1. The addition of blue cheese sounds fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good! I need to get back on my planning for the week. We've eaten out, had PBJ or ordered falafel for the past 10 days. Blech.

    I am not certain but I think Kerrygold might just be the brand?

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::