Saturday, March 7, 2009

Menu for the Week: 3/8--3/14

Happy Week Before St. Patrick's Day! Already on the south side there are signs that St. Patrick's Day and the South Side Irish Parade are coming. Of course, I have to leave my neighborhood and drive a little further west and south to see those signs, but the signs are there nevertheless. It's a sure sign that Spring is coming and that winter won't be sticking around.

For the days leading up to St. Patrick's Day, I decided to explore our Irish roots by creating a menu that centered around different dishes from Ireland. I had some of the most amazing food in Ireland and I'm excited to recreate some of those dishes and try some others I never had the chance to try. I got 3 cookbooks that detail Irish cooking, traditions, and ingredients. I'm very excited to try all these meals, and I'm looking forward to expanding my arsenal of recipes.

Funnily enough, I didn't have corned beef and cabbage while in Ireland. In some places it wasn't even on the menu. Based on my not-very-extensive research (i.e. reading my cookbooks), it seems that corned beef and cabbage was a relatively popular dish in Ireland for quite some time, but after it became synonymous with St. Patrick's Day in the U.S. it's popularity took a nose dive and it's place as the 'national dish' in Ireland was just a myth. However, in recent decades it's gained some ground in popularity and it seems like it's making a deserved comeback in Irish pubs.

As far as the menu is concerned...

Sunday: Gaelic Steak, mashed potatoes, salad
Monday: Chicken Cashel Blue, green beans, crushed potatoes
Tuesday: Traditional Roast Pork, broccoli, mashed potatoes
Wednesday: Bushmill's Stuffed Steak, baked potato, salad
Thursday: Chicken, cabbage, baked potatoes
Friday: Crab Cakes
Saturday: Annual St. Patrick's Day dinner with Graham's parents, siblings, and grandma.

1 comment:

  1. If you have any great Irish dessert recipes in any of your bookies, mind passing them along? I'm cooking for Hubby's family, and I'd like to include a more traditional dessert, as well.

    I'm really looking forward to these recipes this week--I may be stealing them! :)

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::