Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Beef Tips over Egg Noodles


I've had a craving for beef tips for quite a while now, probably since summertime. I felt it was too warm to make them in July and August, and when the autumn hit I was determined to cram in as many of my favorite comfort foods as possible.

(Speaking of comfort foods, did anyone catch Barefoot Contessa on Saturday? Sorry Ina, but my idea of comfort food is far, far away from a bagel with salmon and schmear. Still love you, though.)
We liked this, but it needs some work. We felt it was a bit too salty. I suppose a few of the modifications I made contributed to that, but even though I upped the pepper and garlic factor salt was still a major player here. I've got some ideas for next time, but see my notes for those.

Beef Tips
(Adapted from recipezaar)

1 lb. beef stew meat, cubed
2 T. olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
1 c. beef stock
1/4 c. soy sauce
1/4 c. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. pepper
1 envelope brown gravy mix
1 c. water

Heat oil over high heat in a large skillet. Saute onion until translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add meat and cook on high until beef is browned on all sides.

Pour beef stock, soy sauce, and Worcestershire sauce into skillet and mix well. Add garlic powder, salt, and pepper, mix well. Bring sauce to a boil and reduce heat to low. Cover skillet and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours.

Mix gravy powder in water and stir into skillet. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring frequently, until sauce is thick and leaves "trails" in the pan. Serve immediately over buttered egg noodles.

Notes:
  • As you can see, there's a LOT of salt in this meal. I might try using a low-sodium stock next time, or just omitting the tsp. of salt altogether. No need to add fuel to the fire.
  • Another option is to maybe reduce the amount of Worcestershire and soy sauce to a couple of tablespoons and fill in the remaining liquid with about 1/2 c. red wine. Mmm...wine.
  • In addition to the high salt content, I wanted there to be more of something. The pepper just wasn't doing it for me. I might try an herbed gravy next time, and maybe some green onion or chopped garlic. I just wanted a little something more to this.
  • This would be AWESOME with some BBQ sauce or sweet and sour. Hmm....maybe I just gave myself another idea...
  • I served this over buttered egg noodles. Major yum. I also served it with a side of 'Baja Roasted Corn' I got at Market Day. Delicious, but as best I can tell it's chopped corn, red pepper, green pepper, and onion, all diced and sauted with some black beans. If I could figure out the spices (aside from some pepper) I could whip that up on my own.

2 comments:

  1. Ang, this looks great! I would reduce the soy sauce to about a tablespoon. Actually, who am I kidding - screw the salt, add the red wine!

    You could use red wine and add some mushrooms. Mmmmmmm.

    PS - I miss you!

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::