Saturday, April 25, 2009

Greek Chicken


I've been making this meal for years. The recipe was printed in a church cookbook a few years ago, but it was originally given to me by one of my favorite teachers from elementary school. Her family is Greek, and I believe her dad was from Greece, so this is a truly authentic meal. I love the light, direct flavors, and I love how easy this is to prepare.

I've made a few adaptations over time, but I try to remain true to the spirit of this recipe.

Greek Chicken
(Adapted from a family recipe)

1 whole 3lb chicken, cut up
1 c. lemon juice
1 clove garlic
2 T. dried oregano
1/2 stick butter
Salt
Pepper

Place chicken in 9 x. 13 baking dish. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Mix together lemon juice, oregano, and garlic. Pour mixture over chicken and refrigerate. Marinate overnight, or at least 6 hours.

Heat oven to 325 F. Slice butter into pats and place on pieces of chicken. Bake for 1 hour, basting with pan juices occasionally.

Notes:
  • I served this with rice pilaf and grilled zucchini. Really simple sides for a really simple meal. It can't get better than that.
  • Fresh oregano would be best, but my herbs aren't yet ready for picking so I used dried. Whatever you have will work.
  • I've marinated in the fridge in a plastic bag, and I've also marinated just by dumping everything into the dish and throwing it into the fridge. I prefer the plastic bag method, however.
  • Tonight I actually used a package of legs and 2 split breasts. Almost any pieces you have on hand will do, but bone-in works best so the chicken doesn't overcook.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::