Saturday, April 18, 2009

Simple Raspberry Sauce


I saw this recipe on a recent episode of Barefoot Contessa and dessert-phobe that I am, I knew that even I couldn't screw this up. It's pretty foolproof and goes well with so many desserts. I believe Ina served it over a pound cake or angel food cake, but I served these alongside the Molten Chocolate Cakes I made to round out 'Husband Appreciation Day'.

This is simple, delicious, and not too sweet. It's a perfect topping and is a great alternative to whipped cream.

Simple Raspberry Sauce
(Adapted from Ina Garten)

1/2 pint fresh raspberries
1/2 c. granulated sugar
1/4 c. water
1 c. seedless raspberry jam (1 12 oz. jar)

Mix raspberries, sugar, and water in a small pot. Bring to a boil, stirring occassionally. Lower heat and simmer mixture for 4 minutes.

Pour jam into the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Pour the heated berry mixture into the food processor. Process for 10 seconds (or 10 pulses) or until mixture is smooth. Chill until ready to serve.

Notes:
  • Okay, I really loved this. Graham didn't. He said it was "Okay" but he doesn't like sauce. Sauce is one of the items on his "won't touch it" list. He tried some to appease me, and he said it was 'Nice' and 'Okay' but not much more than that. I, on the other hand, really loved this. It wasn't too sweet, and it was the perfect topping for the cake.
  • Now, Ina added some framboise before hitting 'Go' on her Cuisinart. Ina lives in East Hampton. I live on the Souf Siiiiiiiiiiiide of Chicago. My local liquor store don't have no framboise. I left it out and honestly didn't think it was missing anything. I suppose you could add a dash of port or red wine, but I think this is perfection without.
  • So Ina says, "Use a seedless jam." Okay, no probbo. Here's the catch: real raspberries have seeds. The seedless jam cuts down on the number of seeds in the sauce, and truth be told I didn't notice them all that much. I suppose if I was serving this for company I might go through the trouble of running it through a sieve to catch the seeds, but it's been a long day. I iz lay-zee.
  • When you pour it into a dish to chill in the fridge, cover it with plastic wrap to keep a skin from forming. I did, and I'm glad I did so. That's a mistake you really only make once. Not that a little skin is a huge mistake, but it's the little things that make serving easier.

1 comment:

  1. MMM - homemade raspberry sauce is awesome and what a great garnish for your chocolate cakes!

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::