Friday, April 3, 2009

Spicy Orange-Garlic Shrimp



I first saw this on The Pioneer Woman Cooks and really had no interest in trying it. I love shrimp but this didn't light my fire. Eventually it grew on me, especially after hearing some good reviews on different message boards and blogs. I decided to give it a shot last week since I needed something meatless for Friday and I figured that this might be a miss with Graham, but most seafood meals are (no offense, hon) and besides--I could scratch it off my list and say, "Welp, I tried!"

I had to modify it a teeny bit, but overall we both liked this. I really liked the sauce, and Graham wasn't in love, but liked it more than my shrimp scampi. (Which, I must say, is far less spicy than this, so I give up!) See my notes for my mods.

Spicy Orange-Garlic Shrimp

2 dozen 26-30 count per pound peeled and deveined shrimp
3/4 c. orange juice (pulp free)
2-4 cloves garlic, sliced
3 T. salted butter, divided
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. Old Bay seasoning

Thaw or refresh shrimp by running under cold running water in a colander for approx. 5 minutes. Dry them for a few on a paper towel.

Add garlic slices, cayenne pepper, and Old Bay to the orange juice. Stir well to mix.

In a large skillet over high heat, melt 2 T. butter. When butter has melted, add shrimp to skillet. Cook shrimp for 60-90 seconds per side. Remove cooked shrimp to platter.

Keep heat turned to high and allow butter and drippings to smoke. Add orange juice mixture to the pan and stir well. Add last T. butter to the skillet and stir occassionally over 4-5 minutes and allow sauce to thicken. Return shrimp to pan and coat well with sauce, no more than a minute to heat through. Serve immediately.

Notes:
  • If you like a spicier sauce, double the amount of cayenne pepper or add some red pepper flakes to the sauce.
  • I prefer pulpless OJ, and the original recipe actually never specified pulp or no pulp, just 'good quality' juice. I think that the lack of pulp enhanced our meal, but I hate pulp so therefore I am biased.
  • Next time I might add a touch more salt to the sauce. Not that it was bland, I just wanted a little more sumpthin' sumpthin'.
  • If your groceries stores suck like mine and you can't find Old Bay with the seasonings, check near the seafood. I guess that arrangement makes sense, but I spent a few weeks searching for it in the spice aisle. Silly me.
  • This is so, so easy to make and throw together. I left my shrimp in the colander for 2 minutes whilst I sliced my garlic and mixed my seasonings, and that was the extent of my prep. I spent more time waiting for time to pass than I did actually cooking. I love me some easy meals.
  • I served this with some leftover risotto from the other night. They worked well together, and the shrimp got to be the star of the show with a lovely supporting actor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::