Friday, April 10, 2009

Spicy Valentine's Day Pasta


This recipe comes from Emily, The Legal Foodie. She added this recipe to a cookbook put together by some mutual friends. Like most recipes I try for the first time, this is one I'd been wanting to try but just hadn't gotten around to doing so. According to Emily's description, this is the meal to make if you wanna get bizzay! Allow me (but really Emily) to elaborate:

"I made this for Mr. Legal Foodie as part of a tasting menu featuring aphrodisiacs for Valentine's Day a few years ago. This is now on rotation and is super easy to throw together on a weeknight. It makes a lot, but can be easily halved, although the leftovers reheat well."

We liked this. I loooooooved the sauce, and it was really easy to whip up after the Good Friday church service we attended. It took longer for the water to boil for the pasta than it did to throw the rest of this together.

Spicy Valentine's Day Pasta

1 lb. linguine, cooked according to package directions
3 T. Olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cans diced tomatoes in liquid
14 oz. artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
2 T. capers
2 T. dried rosemary
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (add more to taste if necessary)
1/2 c. dry white wine

Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add tomatoes, artichoke hearts, wine, rosemary, capers, and red pepper flakes. Mix together.

Simmer over medium-low heat for 10 minutes. Toss with cooked pasta and serve immediately.

Notes:

  • I really liked the addition of wine to the sauce, but I pretty much love the addition of wine to anything.
  • Emily also suggests adding 4 oz. pancetta to the pasta. For the pancetta, you would chop it, fry it a little in the olive oil for about five minutes BEFORE adding garlic to the pan. I left out the pancetta; while delicious, it was a Friday, Good Friday no less! Years of Catholic guilt wouldn't let me throw it in.
  • I also omitted the 2 oz. black OR Kalamata olives Emily suggests. If you prefer the olives, just add them when you add the tomatoes and capers. I think olives are okay, but olives are just another item on Graham's "I Won't Eat This" list. We didn't really notice they were missing, and the capers added a nice bite of vinegar and savory so I didn't think they were necessary.
  • The one addition I would make would be to add half an onion, diced, to the sauce. Maybe next time, although onions and garlic might make this an aphrodisidon't. (Yeah, that was corny, but give me a break. I'm on vacation this week--me no likey thinking.)

2 comments:

  1. Yummmmm. If I try this I definitely won't skip the olives! Double yum! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo-hoo, thanks for the shout-out. I seriously think we eat this once every two weeks. I'll use olives if we have them, skip them if we don't. I have also used anchovies in place of pancetta, or nothing at all. That's the great thing about this dish - it's a loose recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::