Friday, May 22, 2009

Allow me to share with you...pot roast


I know, I know. I've posted this recipe at least 3 times on my blog, but I can't help it. I loooooooooooove it. It's real love. It's the stuff life is made of. Each time I make this pot roast I die a little inside. So far at least 1/8th of me is in heavenly bliss somewhere. (But why the hell do I still weigh the same?) Anyway, I made pot roast last month and kept meaning to post the recipe and photo (again) and never did. So now I'm going to...because I'm lazy and it's my blog and I can do what I want, man!

This takes time. Not a ton of time, but just enough to make you and your loved ones moan and groan while it's in the oven. I often find myself saying, "Is it time yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet?" Clearly I'm preparing for when I have a 6-year-old who can't wait for anything that takes more than 2 minutes. However, the time required is totally, totally worth it. Totally. Trust me. I am Frazzoo, and I know of what I speak.

Sorry, I just got all Karate Kid on you. On to the recipe!

Pot Roast of the Angels

3 lb. boneless pot roast
4 carrots, chopped
4 celery stalks, chopped
2 onions
1 bay leaf (or 2 if they're small)
3 springs fresh rosemary (or a generous handful of dried)
3 springs fresh thyme (or a generous handful of dried)
Salt
Pepper
2-3 cups beef stock
1 cup red wine OR beef stock
3 T. Olive oil

Preheat oven to 275 F. Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot. Generously season roast with salt and pepper. Chop carrots and celery into 1 inch pieces.

Chop 2 onions in half and remove tips and outer layer. Lay onions flat side down in the pot and brown for 1-2 minutes. Turn over and continue browning for 1-2 minutes. Remove to platter. Add carrots and celery to pot and brown for 2 minutes. Remove to platter.
Turn heat up to high and add the roast to the pot. Brown/sear the roast on each side, 2-3 minutes. Remove to platter.

Deglaze the pan with 1 cup red wine (or beef stock), and using a wooden spoon or whisk, scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the pot. Return the roast to the pot. Pour beef stock over roast (2-3 cups), enough to cover roast 1/2 to 3/4 with liquid. Add in onions, carrots, and celery. Add bay leaf, thyme and rosemary to the pot and submerge in liquid if possible.

Cover, and cook at 275 F. for 3 hours. Disgard bay leaf before serving.

Notes:
  • The trick is to roast for about an hour per pound. For 3 lbs, I do 3 hours. For 4 lbs, well...you get the idea.
  • If you do a larger roast, up the beef stock to 3-4 cups. You want to cover it AT LEAST half way.
  • I don't put the potatoes in the roast. I don't like the texture. It feels gummy and weird. I'll serve this with mashed potatoes or roasted potatoes instead of everything in one pot.
  • If you make pot roast and it dries out, you're doing something wrong. If you make this and it dries out, you either didn't use enough liquid or you cooked it too long at too high a heat. Remember that movie, "Cars"? "Low and slow" is the best way to get the results you're looking for.
  • This is always, always a hit. Always. Make it today, or make it the first thing you serve when it's finally cool enough to make pot roast again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::