Monday, May 18, 2009

Chicken Fajitas



Last week, after Graham asked for tacos, he asked for fajitas. I didn't want to do 2 wrap-style meals in a week, so I pushed fajitas back one week. These were definitely worth the wait! These are really bright and fresh with bold flavors. I adapted this recipe in my trusty church cookbook. I love those things--you get the best recipes out of them.

Chicken Fajitas
(Adapted)

1/8 c. EVOO + 2 T.
3 T. lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. ground cumin
Salt and pepper
1 lb. thinly sliced chicken breast
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 red pepper, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
Juice of 1 lime
Tortillas for serving

In a plastic bag, mix together 2 T. EVOO, lemon juice, garlic, onion powder, oregano, and cumin. Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Add chicken breasts to bag, seal, and toss to coat. Marinate chicken in fridge for 1 hour.

Heat grill pan to medium-high heat. Remove chicken from bag and discard marinade. Cook whole chicken breasts, turning occasionally, till an instant-read thermometer reads 170 F. Remove from grill and slice chicken across the grain. Move slices to platter.

Heat olive oil over medium-high. When oil is shimmering, cook peppers and onion until just tender. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Squeeze lime juice over chicken and vegetables. Warm tortillas in microwave for about 30 seconds, and serve immediately with desired toppings.

Notes:
  • These came together really quickly. I used thin sliced chicken breasts (you can slice your own but I picked up a few packs in the meat case since they're more precise) and they cooked up in less than 10 minutes.
  • You could use the same skillet for everything but I love the grill marks on my chicken.
  • Any toppings will work for these. My personal favorites include guacamole, salsa, sour cream, freshly shredded cheese, tomatoes....the works.
  • These aren't terribly spicy but you could add chopped cilantro or a few dashes of hot sauce to the marinade to make up for it.

1 comment:

  1. Mmm - I love me some fajitas and these look great!

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::