Friday, May 29, 2009

Chicken Scallopine


Mmm...I love a good chicken dish. I really do. And see? This photo is surprisingly good! It's amazing what natural light can do for food photography. I wish I had this kind of light year round. Oh well. Flash is good for the winter months, and I don't care who knows it!

I saw this recipe on The Pioneer Woman Cooks a few weeks ago and almost instantly it popped up on a number of different recipe blogs I follow. I decided to follow suite since it's a change from what we usually have for dinner. It's not authenic in any way, but it's hearty and tasty.

Chicken Scallopine
(Adapted from The Pioneer Woman)

1 lb. fettucine
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Salt and pepper
1 onion, diced
6 oz. white mushrooms, washed and sliced thin
1/4 c. all-purpose flour
2 T. Extra-virgin olive oil
4 T. butter
1 c. white wine
1/2 a lemon
1/2 c. heavy cream
1 T. capers
2 T. fresh minced parsley
Parmesan cheese, to taste

Boil water for pasta. Cook according to package directions.

Flatten chicken breasts to equal thinness between saran wrap or pieces of wax paper. As Emily would say, "Beat that meat!" Season chicken with salt and pepper.

Heat olive oil and butter over medium-high heat. As oil heats, dredge chicken lightly in flour and shake off excess. Brown chicken for about 4 minutes per side, turning once. Remove chicken to platter.

Add onion and mushrooms to skillet and cook till tender. Remove skillet from heat and pour in wine. Stir mushrooms in wine for a minute. Squeeze lemon juice into skillet, stir it all together and cook for 1 minute. Pour in heavy cream, stir together. Add capers and parsley. Season with parmesan cheese and serve.

Notes:
  • This sauce is actually really light and isn't terribly "creamy". I cooked it until I could stir it and leave "trails" in the pan.
  • If you like it a little thicker, turn off the heat and let the sauce stand for a minute or two.
  • I chose to serve this over noodles, but farfalle or rigatoni would work just as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::