Saturday, May 9, 2009

Cinnamon-Oatmeal Pancakes


There's something terribly traditional about waking up early on a Saturday morning to make pancakes. I love doing it, but I don't do it often enough. Sometimes Saturday morning just comes a little too early.

However, when I saw this recipe in my May issue of Everday Food I knew I wanted to try it. I decided to treat myself to a pre-birthday breakfast because darn it--I've earned it! These were pretty good pancakes, but they're not my favorite. Next time I want to make some changes, but these are good pancakes to make for breakfast, dinner, or even a snack. They've got a slightly denser texture than your average pancake, but they taste just like cinnamon oatmeal, so it's a decent tradeoff.

Cinnamon-Oat(meal) Pancakes
(Adapted from Everyday Food)

2 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 c. packed brown sugar
1 T. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 c. old fashioned rolled oats
2 c. milk
2 large eggs
1/4 c. vegetable oil

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and 1 c. oats in a food processor. Pulse 10 times or let it run for a few seconds to mix dry ingredients and grind down oats. In a bowl, mix together milk, eggs, and oil. Add dry ingredients and remaining oats and stir together until completely mixed.

Heat a skillet or griddle over medium heat. Oil lightly with vegetable oil (if necessary). Drop batter onto hot skillet or griddle and cook for 2 minutes before flipping. Cook until browned on both sides, about 2 minutes per side. Serve smothered with butter and maple syrup unless you're one of those calorie counting types.

Notes:
  • These didn't have as much of the cinnamon flavor as I wanted, so next time I'll up the cinnamon to 1 1/2 teaspoons. I might also add some ground nutmeg just to punch up the flavor.
  • Perhaps it's just me, but I like my pancakes just a touch sweeter. I will probably increase the brown sugar to at least 1/3 c. for the next time.
  • I might also add both cups of oats at the beginning and grind them down with the other ingredients, or grind both cups of oats and THEN add the remaining dry ingredients.
  • According to EF, these are good for freezing. This is news to me...I personally love to eat my pancakes when they're on the plate in front of me, although it's a smart idea to freeze them for later in the week. EF says that if you want to make a batch to freezer, cool them on a wire rack for 30 minutes or so, and then freeze them on a baking sheet for about 30 minutes, then transfer them to a plastic bag and freeze them up to 3 months. They can also be reheated in the oven on a baking sheet: 350 F. for 10 minutes, or individually in the toaste. YUM.
  • P.S. Excuse the picture. I was HONGRY and made myself a plate before I remembered I had to take a picture for my blog. Don't mess with me in the morning, man! I must be fed first.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::