Monday, May 4, 2009

Grilled Chicken Sandwiches


I love a good grilled chicken sandwich. I hope my arteries forgive me someday, because nothing is more satisfying than a hot, greasy, mayo'd grilled chicken sammich. YUM. Good news for you is that this isn't terribly greasy or mayo-ey.

I decided to make a dressing for the chicken to marinate it and it came together beautifully. It was thick and flavorful and really made a difference. It was really easy, too! Can't argue with that.

Grilled Chicken Sandwiches with Roasted Garlic Dressing
(Adapted from Tyler Florence)

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin (I clearly did not do this because I was in a hurry.)
1 head garlic, top lopped off
Salt and pepper
1/2 c. Extra-virgin olive oil plus more for drizzling
Juice of 1 lemon
1 small bunch flat leaf parsley, leaves chopped
Leaves from 2 or 3 thyme sprigs
Handful of oregano leaves, chopped

Heat oven to 400 F. Slice top off head of garlic, and wrap in a piece of tin foil. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Roast for 30-45 minutes, or until garlic is fragrant. Remove from oven, cool until comfortable to touch.

When garlic is cool, toss garlic, 1/2 c. olive oil, lemon juice, parsley, thyme, and basil into food processor. Puree until dressing is thick (you'll hear a difference in the sound the dressing makes as it whizzes around. It will sound thick.) Set aside.

Heat grill or grill pan to medium-high. Season chicken with salt and pepper and lightly drizzle with olive oil. Grill chicken, turning occasionally, and basting with dressing until a meat thermometer reads 170 F.

Toast bread on grill for a few minutes, or until bread/buns reach desired toasty-ness. Top with mayo, tomato, lettuce, avocado...whatever. Enjoy.

Notes:
  • These were so good. The dressing was nice and thick and did a great job flavoring the chicken. I didn't even need mayo once I made my sandwiches.
  • These are perfect for toppings. I almost wanted to add fried bacon to my sandwich, but my fat rear wouldn't let me.
  • I wasn't paying attention, but had I not been in a hurry I definitely would have flattened the chicken breasts. They'll cook faster that way and your sandwich won't look like the size of Shaq's foot.
  • Enjoy these with a beer. Fire up the grill and watch summer roll on in.

1 comment:

  1. Yay for grilling! These look awesome and I can't wait to grill up too!

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::