Friday, May 8, 2009

Homemade Italian Beef


Chicago is known a number of things: winning (and losing) sports teams, two seasons (winter and construction), big attitudes, big appetites, and FOOD. I'm fully convinced that the reason my rear end is so darn big is because of all the pizza and beer and Italian beef I've eaten over the course of my life.

Normally when I "make" Italian beef it involves picking up a pound or two of sliced beef from my local Italian grocery store, some rolls, heating both, and plopping them down on a plate dripping with gravy? It's not a meal for the carb or calorie conscious. It is, however, a personal favorite.

I wanted to try my own take on Italian beef. Much as I love throwing together the beef and gravy, I really wanted to be able to say I made my own Italian Beef. Unfortunately I only have my own opinion tonight as Graham had a wake to attend. Hopefully he'll love the leftovers as much as I love the real thing.

Italian Beef
(Adapted from here)

2lb. tip roast
3 c. beef stock
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. dried parsley
1 bay leaf
1 onion, sliced
1 envelope Italian dressing mix

In a small saucepan, mix together beef stock, salt, pepper, oregano, basil, onion powder, garlic powder, dried parsley, bay leaf, and dressing mix. Whisk together to combine and bring to a boil.

Place roast and onions in crockpot and pour stock mixture over roast. Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 4-5 hours. To serve, slice or shred meat and serve on rolls.

Notes:
  • This was super easy to prepare. Once the stock mixture boiled, my dinner was all but done. It smelled AWESOME in the crockpot all day. I was so ready to dive in and eat it by 3:30 and I had 2 1/2 hours to go!
  • I liked this, but I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to my Italian beef. Next time I'll pick up a roast I can slice thin instead of shred. It was a different texture but it reminded me too much of pot roast and other roasts.
  • If you add onions or garlic, I strongly recommend adding them and covering the roast with them so they don't burn and stick to the crock insert.

1 comment:

  1. I loooove italian beef. It's been a really long time since I've made it and since my oven doesn't work, I'm thinking it's a perfect time to pull out the crockpot.

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::