Thursday, May 28, 2009

Pasta alla Marlboro Man....er, Graham


We love to eat pasta, and Graham's a big, BIG fan of good ole spaghetti and meatballs. I love pasta, but I get bored with it. I don't mind eating pasta and marinara sauce, but I can only eat it so many times before I get bored and start dreaming of something else.

Unfortunately, Graham is pretty dedicated to spaghetti and meatballs, so I don't get to shake it up with pasta too often. I saw this recipe featured on a few different recipe blogs and initially I wasn't interested but I figured I'd give it a shot since it's got enough of that rustic and plain-but-delicious quality that Graham loves.

Pasta alla Marlboro Man
(Adapted from The Pioneer Woman)

3 T. Extra-virgin olive oil
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb. ground chuck
Salt and pepper
1 tsp. oregano, minced
1 tsp. parsley, minced
2 14-oz. cans whole tomatoes
1 14-oz. can diced tomatoes
1 lb. pasta (I used penne)

Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add onions and saute until translucent. When onion is ready, add garlic and be careful not to burn! Cook about 2 minutes.

Add beef to skillet and brown. When beef is ready, drain off fat. Season beef, onion, and garlic with salt and pepper. Mix in oregano and parsley and mix well. Add whole and diced tomatoes, juice and all, to skillet and stir together. Cover skillet and cook for 30 minutes on medium, stirring occassionally. Remove cover and cook for 30 additional minutes, stirring occassionally.

While beef mixture is simmering, cook pasta according to package directions. Serve beef sauce over pasta and top with shredded parmesan cheese.

Notes:
  • There are a number of steps, but this is actually pretty simple. The bulk of the work is done once you simmer the sauce for an hour.
  • PW says she created this for her cowboy husband because he didn't "like" pasta because it was too "froo froo". This is a really hearty meal. Graham LOVED it. I think deep inside, he still wants to be a cowboy.
  • The preparation for this meal is ridiculous. All you need to do is heat oil and dice an onion and some garic. If you do that ahead of time, this comes together uber-fast.
  • Essentially, this is a recipe for sauce. You can serve this over any pasta, really. I used penne, but rigatoni or corkscrews would work fine.
  • The tomatoes really break down as they cook. They're fun to squish.
  • I think next time I'll use ONLY diced tomatoes. I liked the whole tomatoes, but I just didn't love them.
  • This is what I would call "Man Food". I tend to make a lot of "Girl Food" that Graham eats, but wouldn't mind if I didn't serve again. This is about as man-pleasin' as it gets, folks.

1 comment:

  1. Yum. Well, minus the whole (cooked) tomatoes which skeeve me out for some reason. Other than that, sounds and looks quite tasty... and meaty. :)
    -christina

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::