Thursday, May 7, 2009

Pasta Primavera with roasted veggies


There are two dishes I go to when I need to clean out the fridge: stir fry, and pasta primavera. Both are so easy to throw together and versatile, and they can be truly delicious. Tonight's dinner was definitely a keeper.

Because I was cleaning out the fridge there aren't precise measurements for the seasonings, I was just playing as I went. Forgive me?

Pasta Primavera
(Angie original)

1 lb. fettucine or linguine
4 carrots, peeled and cut into coins
2 zucchini, ends lopped off and cut into coins
1 yellow pepper, cut into matchsticks
1 red pepper, cut into matchsticks
1 onion, sliced
Olive oil (approx. 1/2 c.)
Salt and pepper
Herbs de Provence
Italian Parsley, chopped
Cherry or baby tomatoes, halved, quartered, or crushed
Parmesan cheese, if desired

Boil water for pasta and cook according to package directions. Drain, but reserve about 1/2 c. of the starchy water, just in case.

Heat oven to 400 F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and arrange vegetables in a single layer on baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil--start with 1/4 c. and add more if you need to. Season with salt, pepper, and herbs. Roast vegetables about 20 minutes or until brown and sizzling. Stir or rotate vegetables if browning too quickly.

When vegetables and pasta are done, toss together in a bowl. Add diced/halved/crushed tomatoes and drizzle with reserved starchy water if it looks dry to you (sometimes I do, sometimes I don't, and 1/2 the time I forget to do it anyway). Season with salt and pepper, if desired, and sprinkle with parsley and parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.

Notes:
  • This is a great meal because it's basically a one-potter, and if you boil the water and roast the vegetables at the same time you can chill for about 30 minutes and watch the news or water the plants or whatever.
  • I love love love roasted vegetables with herbs de Provence, so that's what I used. However, you can sub oregano, basil, rosemary (oooooh, rosemary), just about anything will do.
  • Tonight I halved the tomatoes but I occasionally I'll drizzle them with olive oil, season them with some S&P, and crush them. It's a neat chunky-style sauce that doesn't take much time to throw together.
  • I think this works best with noodles like spaghetti or linguine, but I think farfalle or campanelle might work well too. I've never tried, but I'm pretty dedicated to my noodles.
  • I traditionally don't use carrots in my pastas or stir frys, but I wanted to use them rather than toss them out. I was afraid this would bomb, but everything worked really well together!

1 comment:

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::