Thursday, May 14, 2009

Skewered Beef and Vegetables (Steak on a stick)



I get bored easily. I'm not content to serve the same thing over and over again, and I like to change it up. A few months ago on her show, Ina Garten said, "You really only need 10 recipes, and you can learn to cook each recipe 3 different ways. That's 30 recipes!" Thirty seems like a hefty number, but really, it's not that many, and if you do a lot of entertaining it's a good idea to have a number of recipes handy so you're not serving the same thing over and over again. This is a great recipe for summer and it comes together quickly. It's not entirely perfect, but it's definitely simple and delicious.

Skewered Beef and Vegetables

1 lb beef, cubed
4 bamboo skewers
Worcestershire sauce
Salt and pepper
Dried thyme
2 red peppers, chopped
1 onion, chopped

Soak bamboo skewers in cool water for 30 minutes. When ready, arrange beef, pepper, and onion on skewers. Drizzle Worcestershire sauce over beef and season with salt, pepper, and thyme to taste.

Heat grill or grill pan to medium-high. Grill to desired doneness.

Notes:
  • I chose salt, pepper, and thyme, but I almost used my favorite seasoning: Montreal Steak Seasoning by McCormick. Yum.
  • Red peppers and onions looked good to me at the grocery store, so that's what I picked up. Green peppers and green vegetables would be great, too. Tomatoes won't work because they'll heat too quickly and fall apart on the grill. No one likes melty tomato.
  • I used beef stew meat, but it didn't work as well as I would have liked. Next time I'll probably pick up a better cut of meat or marinate the stew meat a little bit.
  • This was my first time making kebobs, and I'm pretty impressed with myself if I do say so myself. It was one of those "wing it" sort of meals.

2 comments:

  1. I love beef kabobs! My family does mushrooms with them, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything tastes better when served on a stick!

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::