Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Tex-Mex Tacos



Bad Photo #428. Oh well.

Last week Graham asked for tacos, and I was more than willing to oblige. It's not often that he asks for remotely spicy anything, so I couldn't wait. I was bored with my old, "Brown beef and look in the pantry and fridge for whatever" method, and I found this recipe online. It's good, and I adapted it to fit our tastes. It's probably not quite as healthy as it used to be thanks to me, but that's something I can live with.

Tex-Mex Tacos
(Adapted from Cooking Light)

1 lb. ground beef
1 onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 red pepper, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 c. frozen corn
1/2 c. water
1 envelope taco/Southwest seasoning
Salt and pepper
1-15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
1-8 oz. can tomato sauce, plain
10 flour tortillas, warmed

In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown beef with onion, red pepper, and green pepper. Stir and mix to brown beef completely. Add garlic when beef is nearly done.

Add corn, water, seasoning packet, beans, and tomato sauce. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Mix well. Bring mixture to a boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Serve immediately in warmed tortillas.

Notes:
  • I topped our tacos with the average fixins' nothing special. However, these are flavorful enough on their own. My husband asked for seconds and that NEVER happens with beans or spicy foods. NEVER.
  • If you prefer more of a kick, definite top these with some cilatro. These would be peeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrfect with cilantro.
  • This can be as spicy or mild as you like, and that's something I love about it.
  • This is a little more work, but totally worth it, in my opinion. These are definitely going on rotation.

2 comments:

  1. Yum! Seriously, is there anyone that didn't have a taco at all this month?! Cinco de Mayo should be celebrated the entire month and that means nachoes and tacoes for everyone! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm totally down with nachos and tacos! Some of the best food evah!

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::