Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Whiskey-Glazed Pork Chops



Confession: the photo is actually from the last time I made these pork chops, back in February. I was so into the conversation I was having with my sister(-in-law) before dinner that I totally forgot to take a photo. However, it was the same meal, sides and all. Forgive me?

These are so good, they really are. I was actually pretty flattered when Mary inhaled her pork chop. These are a great main course and work well with potatoes, vegetables, side salads, or anything you can come up with. And really, whiskey makes everything just a little bit better.

Whiskey-Glazed Pork Chops
(Adapted from an old issue of Cook's Country)

1/2 c. Jack Daniel's whiskey
1/2 c. apple cider
1/4 c. brown sugar
1 T. Dijon mustard
1/8 tps. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
4 tsp. cider vinegar, divided
4 bone-in center cut pork loin chops
2 T. olive oil
Salt and pepper
1 T. unsalted butter

In a plastic bag, mix whiskey, apple cider, brown sugar, Dijon mustard, cayenne pepper, vanilla, and 2 tsp. cider vinegar. Mix well to thoroughly combine ingredients. Reserve about 1/2 c. marinade. Add pork chops. Place bag in fridge and allow to marinate overnight or at least 1 hour.

Remove bag and dispose of used marinade. Heat a pan over medium high heat and add olive oil. Season pork chops with salt and pepper. When pan is HOT add pork chops and sear for 4-5 minutes per side. Remove pork chops from pan and cover with foil to continue the cooking process. Pull pan off flame and add reserved 1/2 of marinade. Deglaze the pan (scrape up the brown bits on the bottom) and bring marinade to a boil. Cook mixture about 5 minutes or until thick.

Reduce heat to medium-low, add remaining 2 tsp. cider vinegar and butter and mix well. Simmer about 4 minutes. Return pork chops to pan--along with any juices--and cook, turning occassionally, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a platter and serve.

Notes:
  • About this dinner, Mary says, "They were yummy. They were moist. They weren't chewy or anything like that. I don't know...you were afraid they were gonna be overly sweet but I didn't think so. And I didn't think that the seasoning was too powerful that you couldn't taste everything." So there, it's not just my opinion anymore! And my sis-in-law is honest, man.
  • The one complaint I have is that the glaze isn't glazy enough for me. I don't know if I did something wrong, or if this just isn't sticky enough? I don't know.
  • I used boneless center cut pork chops this time and they worked just as well. I actually prefer them to bone-in.

3 comments:

  1. Now any meal that involves liquor has to be good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this! I made these several years ago and lost the magazine! So glad to find the recipe again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! I hope they're as good as you remember!

      Delete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::