Thursday, June 11, 2009

Herbed Balsamic Chicken with Blue Cheese


Balsamic vinegar and blue cheese are two of my favorite ingredients to use in the kitchen. When I saw this last week on Epicurious.com I couldn't stop myself from putting it on the menu. Sure, Graham doesn't like blue cheese, but I couldn't help myself. Call it a PMS craving, call it a complete lack of willpower...call it what you will, but I call it delicious.

Herbed Balsamic Chicken with Blue Cheese
(Adapted from Bon Appetit)

3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
Salt & pepper
3 T. Extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 c. balsamic vinegar
2 tsp. Herbes de Provence
3 oz. blue cheese (I used crumbles)

In a large resealable plastic bag, combine olive oil, vinegar, and 1 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. pepper. Seal the bag, and shake to combine. Add chicken, seal bag, and toss to coat well. Chill in the fridge for 2-3 hours, turning occassionally.

Heat grill pan to medium-high. Remove chicken from plastic bag and on platter season chicken lightly with salt and pepper and Herbes de Provence.

In a small saucepan, heat marinade to a boil (to kill bacteria). Place chicken on grill and grill for 6-7 minutes per side, or until cooked through, brushing occassionally with heated marinade. When cooked through, remove chicken to platter and top with blue cheese. Serve immediately.

Notes:
  • Graham takes his chicken without blue cheese. My heart sinks, but that's how he likes it. Thankfully, the chicken is just as good without cheese as it is with.
  • The cheese offers a nice savory quality to the meal, especially compared to the balsamic vinegar. If you're afraid of blue cheese, I'd suggest a feta cheese, or something equally mild yet tasty to counter the sweetness of the vinegar.
  • No Herbes de Provence? Thyme and rosemary will work just as well.
  • I served this with green beans and rice, but this would be great over baby arugula dressed with a light vinegarette.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::