Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Honey-Mustard Pretzel Chicken Fingers



I first saw this featured on Recipe Romper Room last month and was instantly intrigued. Chicken? Pretzels? Tell me more...

I made it tonight and made a number of modifications, and this was really, really good! I loved it. Graham felt it was a little too spicy/mustardy for his tastes, but he doesn't really like or use condiments, so don't let his opinions keep you from trying this! It's sooooooo good. And for crying out loud...it's chicken fingers! What's not to love?

Honey-Mustard Pretzel Chicken Fingers

2-1 lb. packages chicken tenderloins
Salt & pepper
1/2 c. mayonaise
1/4 c. Honey-Dijon mustard
1 1/2 c. pretzels

Lightly season chicken with salt and pepper. Mix together mayo and honey-dijon mustard in a small bowl.

In a large resealable plastic bag, pour in mayo-honey-dijon mixture. Add chicken tenderloins, seal bag, and toss to coat tenderloins completely in mayo mixture. Place in fridge and marinate for 30 minutes.

Heat oven to 350 F.

Meanwhile, pour pretzels in a smaller plastic bag. Squeeze out air and close bag 90%. Using a meat tenderizer, pound the heck out of those pretzels to get small pieces that are flat on one side. Try not to pulverize your pretzels or whack too much that you poke holes in your plastic bag. Pour pretzel pieces into a small plate.

Remove chicken from plastic bag in the fridge and roll in pretzel pieces to coat. Lightly press down on the chicken to coat it in the pretzels. Place tenderloins on a lightly greased baking sheet and bake at 350 F. for 20-25 minutes, or until cooked through.

Notes:
  • The original recipe calls for lightly coating the baking sheet with cooking spray, and then coating the chicken pieces with spray after placing them on the sheet. Supposedly it keeps the crust from getting soggy. I didn't do this, and the chicken pieces were either completely crispy or only a bit soggy.
  • This is really, really good. I know it sounds weird, but the chicken is really flavorful, and the crust tastes just like regular deep-fried breading. This is healthier than regular fried chicken tenders, and if you use a light mayo, it's even better!
  • Next time I'll probably use the food processor to break up the pretzels, but if you do this be careful not to grind your pretzels to dust.
  • The tenderloins cook really fast, and they're kid friendly! At least, I was the kind of kid who'd eat them.
  • I liked these because they were quick to throw together and really flavorful. I'd definitely consider serving these if one of my besties was coming over. They're tasty, they're fast, and while they aren't flashy or Martha Stewart worthy, they're a great snack food and I bet they'd be a hit at a finger-foods type party.

3 comments:

  1. These sound great. I am sure that if you really want to fancy them up, you could just use chicken cutlets with a nice side dish. Although, I think they are fine just like that.
    I will be putting these on my to make soon list.
    One last thing...Do you have the cookbook 365 things to do with chicken (or something like that). My mother in law bought it for me and it's a great book. Lots of creative chicken ideas. Some a little bit of a stretch, but all in all a good cookbook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great coating for the chicken! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am trying this today. I will let you know how it goes. Your brother-in-law is begging me. :)

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::