Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Orzo Salad with Summer Squash



Like I've said before, I'm always on the lookout for anything new and interesting I can add to my arsenal of recipes. This one is GREAT for summer picnics or for a light lunch on a hot day. It can be served at room temperature, so it's absolutely fine if you make it at 1:00 and serve it at 4:00. Isn't that fantastic?

This is truly delicious and fast. I definitely plan on bringing this to some summer picnics and making it a little more often this summer. It's a great alternative to plain old rice.

Orzo Salad with Summer Squash

1 1/2 c. orzo pasta
4 T. butter
Olive oil
2 shallots, diced
1 Italian zucchini, quartered & diced
1 yellow squash, quartered and diced
Salt and pepper
4 T. fresh parsley, minced
4 T. fresh basil, chiffonade
2 T. lemon zest

Bring a pot of water to boil. Salt water, and cook orzo until al dente (9-10 minutes). Drain.

Meanwhile, melt butter in a large pot with oil over high. When butter is melted, add shallot and saute 5 minutes. Add zucchini and summer squash to pot. Season with salt and pepper and saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in lemon zest, basil, and parsley. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Notes:
  • Fresh herbs really make this dish. They really shine and brighten up the orzo.
  • Orzo is a great alternative to rice. Slightly larger and perfect in soups or salad.
  • The flavors here are really light, but they're also quite subtle and they marry well. This is perfect for a hot summer day!

2 comments:

  1. So summery and light - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I will have to try this one.

    If you like orzo, here is another recipe that is an old standby for us.
    One thing. I don't add the shrimp. I will often throw shrimp on the grill and serve this salad with it, but I have this weird thing about having whole shrimp IN things. Its either on the side or not at all. I know, odd but thats is just how I roll!
    Like your recipe, you can make it whenever you feel like it. I love it!

    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/roasted-shrimp-and-orzo-recipe/index.html

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::