Friday, June 19, 2009

Steak Sandwiches with Mustard Mayo



That's seriously the best one. It's too dark here thanks to the weirdest day of weather yet. Thanks, Chicago. I'm loving this "rainy summer" nonsense.

I saw these sandwiches last week on an old episode of Barefoot Contessa. They looked delicious so I scrapped the Steak Sandwiches I had planned on making in favor of these beauties, and I'm so glad I did. These are fab, and I should have known. Has Ina ever made anything that wasn't completely wonderful?

The best part about these is that they're so completely simple that they come together really fast. I wouldn't think twice about serving these for a small get-together at home or for a small lunch with friends.

Steak Sandwiches with Mustard Mayo
(Adapted from Ina Garten)

2 12-oz. New York Strip steaks, 1 inch thick (top loin)
Salt & pepper
Olive oil
1 onion, halved and sliced into half-moons
1 tsp. dried thyme leaves
Mustard Mayo (recipe follows)
4 white bread hamburger buns, toasted
1/2 c. romaine lettuce
1/4 c. watercress

Mustard Mayo:

1/2 c. mayo
2 T. Dijon mustard
1 T. whole-grain mustard
2 T. sour cream

Heat grill to medium-high. Season steak liberally with salt and pepper on both sides. Make mustard mayo by mixing together mayo, Dijon mustard, whole-grain mustard, and sour cream in a small bowl. Set aside.

Cook steaks to desired doneness, turning once. Remove to a plate, cover with aluminum foil, and allow to rest for 10 minutes.

Heat about 2 T. olive oil over medium-high heat in a small saute pan. Add onions to pan, and season with thyme. Saute for 10 minutes, or until onions are brown and caramelized. Toast buns and mix together watercress and romaine.

To build sandwiches, spread a layer of mustard mayo on each bun. Slice the steak into strips and lay stips on bottom half of bun. Top with onion rings and greens mixture. Serves 4.

Notes:
  • I really liked the mustard-mayo. It was really flavorful! It also came together quickly and only required a little taste-testing.
  • I skipped most of Ina's "season with a little salt and pepper" notations just because I felt everything was flavorful enough already. I thought the sandwiches were perfectly seasoned and didn't require extra salt and pepper. However, it's just personal preference.
  • For these sandwiches, I strongly recommend seasoning only with salt and pepper. Normally I love my grill seasoning, but it's too strong for these sandwiches and would compete too much with the mayo.
  • I couldn't find a focaccia or ciabatta that looked good to me; everything that was in the store was stale. These were just great on toasted buns, but they'd be FABULOUS on ciabatta.


2 comments:

  1. YUM!!! Love me some steak!
    -christina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those sandwiches sound delicious and that mustard mayo is something I need to spread on my sandwiches soon!

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::