Monday, July 27, 2009

Daring Bakers: Chocolate Covered Marshmallow Cookies



Chocolate anything is usually my kryptonite. I'm a sucker for chocolate, which is why I was exceptionally thrilled with this choice for the July Daring Bakers Challenge. What could be better than chocolate and marshmallows for a summer picnic? Chocolate and marshmallows are a killer combination. I mean, that combination is the reason the s'more is one of the most popular outdoor foods in history.

The July Daring Bakers' challenge was hosted by Nicole at Sweet Tooth. She chose Chocolate Covered Marshmallow Cookies and Milan Cookies from pastry chef Gale Gand of the Food Network.

Mallows
(Courtesy Gale Gand)

3 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. baking powder
3/8 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
12 T. unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), softened
3 eggs whisked together
Homemade marshmallows (Recipe below) OR 12 large marshmallows cut in half
Chocolate glaze (Recipe below)

In a mixer with the paddle attachment (God bless the KA mixer), blend together the dry ingredients. On low speed, add the butter and combine until the mixture is sandy. Add the eggs and mix together until completely combined. Form the dough into a flat disk, wrap in cling wrap, and place in the fridge for 1 hour. (Dough will keep for up to 3 days.)

When you're ready to bake the cookies, heat the oven to 375 F. Grease your baking sheet with butter or line it with parchment paper.

Lightly flour your countertop so the dough doesn't stick. Lightly flour your rolling pin and cookie cutter as well. Roll out the dough to 1/8 inch thickness (roughly) and use your cookie cutter to cut out dough rounds. Transfer cookies to the prepared cookie sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned. Remove from oven and cool to room temperature.

When cookies are cool, pipe a large marshmallow kiss onto each cookie. Let sit for 2 hours to set.

When cookies and marshmallows are set, boil water for the chocolate glaze. When the glaze is ready, prep your countertop with parchment paper. Using a fork, drop the cookies one at a time into the glaze. Let excess drop back into the bowl. Place cookies on parchment paper and let the cookies sit at room temperature until the chocolate sets, or pop them into the fridge for 1 hour to set the chocolate.

Homemade Marshmallows

1/4 c. water
1/4 c. light corn syrup
3/4 c. sugar
1 T. (one package) powdered gelatin
2 T. cold water
2 egg whites, room temperature
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract

In a small pot, combine water, corn syrup and sugar until mixture reads 235 F. on a candy thermometer.

In a small bowl, add cold water and sprinkle gelatin over it. Let dissolve. Remove the syrup mixture from the heat and add the gelatin.

In a stand mixer on high, (and using your whisk attachment) whip the egg whites until soft peaks form. Pour the syrup mixture into the whites. Add vanilla and continue whipping the mixture until stiff. Transfer mixture to a pastry bag or plastic sandwich bag with a corner cut off.

Chocolate glaze

12 oz. semi-sweet chocolate
2 T. vegetable oil
Chocolate sprinkles

Mix both ingredients in a bowl set over simmering water, stirring constantly, until chocolate is melted. Add sprinkles to the chocolate once it's completely melted.

Notes:
  • Making the marshmallows was much easier than I expected, and I got to practice my piping skills. I had to practice piping on the countertop a little to get the hang of it, but once I felt confident enough, it worked!
  • I actually piped a few "kisses" onto my cookies since I don't have a large enough tip for my piping bag. I was concerned about the way the cookies and marshmallows would work together, but the hot chocolate glaze actually helped melt the marshmallows a little so they melted together.
  • I added chocolate sprinkles because I had some leftover and it was a great addition. They melted just a bit in the glaze and the cookes are absolutely covered with them! They're very festive looking.
  • Nicole suggested using large marshmallows for the marshmallow-making-phobic. Cut them in half and place them on the cookies for a few minutes until they've spread a bit and are nice and soft.
  • Now that I know how to make them, I doubt I'll ever buy them again. These were really easy and much less intensive than what I was expecting!


10 comments:

  1. It was my first time making marshmallows too, and I'm surprised it wasn't a huge disaster!! It was very fun.

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Mallows came out picture perfect! I don't like 'set' marshmallow, but I don't think I'd be able to resist yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm... I might just have to make these using my dairy-free ingredients! Thanks, Angie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your mallows looks absolutely delicious! They are so cute with the chocolate sprinkles.
    I'm glad you enjoyed this!
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum!! Your mallows look amazing =D. Beautiful job, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work with the mallows! They do seem like a summery treat somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a great time strolling down memory lane while making these as they were childhood favourites. So glad you enjoyed them too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was a fun challenge, wasn't it? Making marshmallow was way easier than expected. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great looking cookies! Sprinkles should really be used a lot more in baking. They're so much fun!

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::