Friday, July 17, 2009

Pizza Bowls



Knowing in advance that today would be my "baking day" before tomorrow's picnic, I wanted to be able to make something for dinner that would be fast, filling, and simple. Initially I thought, "Screw it, let's just order pizza." Then I remembered I had about 6 months worth of pepperoni packaged in the freezer, a jar of marinara sauce in the cupboard, and some fresh and frozen vegetables on hand. I picked up some fresh mozzarella and...ta da!

These took some playing around with, and someday I'll make my own marinara sauce and it will taste better, but for now these are perfect for some quick eats.

Pizza Bowls
(Angie original)

1 jar marinara sauce
1 c. chopped broccoli florets
1 c. diced onion
1 cloves garlic, minced
2 c. fresh spinach, chopped
Olive oil
Salt & pepper, to taste
1 package pepperoni
2 links hot Italian or turkey sausage
1 c. diced mozzarella cheese
1 package refridgerated pizza dough
4 large ramekins

Heat oven to 400 F.

Remove sausage from casings and crumble. In a medium saucepan, brown sausage in a little olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. When sausage is brown, remove to platter and drain on paper plates.

Using the same saucepan, saute onion in 1 T. olive oil over medium heat, until soft. Add garlic and saute 2 minutes. Add marinara sauce and simmer together for about 10 minutes (check for taste and add any herbs or seasoning at this point. I added fresh basil and rosemary.) Add spinach and stir until wilted.

Add sausage, pepperoni, and broccoli to pot and simmer over medium for 10 minutes. Taste, and season with salt and pepper if necessary.

Roll out pizza dough and using a ramekin and paring knife, trace a circle in pizza dough slightly larger than ramekin. Cut 1 circle for each serving dish.

Add cheese to saucepan, stir well, and divide pizza mixture among ramekins. Top ramekins with dough circles (stretching them if necessary), and cut a few scores in the top of each to allow steam to escape. Brush dough with olive oil.

Place ramekins on a baking sheet for stability, and bake for 20 minutes or until crusts are golden brown. Serve with salad and warm bread. Serves 4.

Notes:
  • If the pizza crusts aren't cut wide enough, the dough will shrink a touch and you'll end up with pizza mixture spilled inside your oven. I'm just saying....
  • Making your own marinara makes this a little more labor intensive, but it's definitely worth it in the taste department. These were good, but they'd have been so much better if I took the time to make my own marinara.
  • I used what we liked and what we had on hand. Graham prefers pepperoni over sausage, and I eat sausage pizza all the time. I put both in here to compromise.
  • These are totally customizable and you can add or omit anything you like.
  • Fresh mozzarella makes a world of difference here. You can taste the difference between the fresh and the pre-shredded mozz. Normally I'm a convienience kind of gal, but using the fresh cheese over the bagged stuff really helped transform the meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::