Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Spicy Valentine's Day Pasta



I first got this recipe from The Legal Foodie, and it was a fast favorite in this house. This comes together really fast, and it packs a lot of flavor! It's also lighter than so many traditional Italian dishes (especially the ones I'm familiar with) because it lacks a heavy sauce. If you make this, I promise you'll love it!

Spicy Valentine's Day Pasta

1 lb. linguine, cooked according to package directions
3 T. Olive oil
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes in liquid
14 oz. artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
2 T. capers
2 T. dried rosemary
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (add more to taste if necessary)
1/2 c. dry white wine

Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add tomatoes, artichoke hearts, wine, rosemary, capers, and red pepper flakes. Mix together.

Simmer over medium-low heat for 10 minutes. Toss with cooked pasta and serve immediately.

Notes:
  • This is really easy to customize and change up. I added the onion, but adding a few sliced mushrooms might not be a terrible idea, either. Black olives would be delicious, and if you can't use wine a few splashes of chicken stock would be a good substitute.
  • Whole wheat pasta would make this even healthier, but I just prefer the carby goodness that is regular pasta.
  • I enjoy the vinegary bite from the capers, but my husband doesn't always like it. A quick rinse under some cold water will help dilute it.
  • I wanted to add some fresh parsley for color, but my garden parsley is hurtin' after I used a bunch of it. That would also be a great way to infuse a little more color and flavor into this dish, but it's already got plenty of both!
  • I've found that this is perfect for weeknights because I can throw it together, but it's also great for summer because it just sits on the burners and doesn't ask me to turn on my oven. This is better served warm, but even at room temperature this is a great meal. The leftovers reheat really well, too. (And that's great, because we've got plenty of leftovers....)
  • This makes a lot. Halve halve halve! (Unless of course, you want to wow 6 of your closest friends and neighbors....)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::