Thursday, July 9, 2009

Summer Spaghetti (or linguine, or farfalle, or....)



Let me tell you something: our apartment gets HOT. It's HOT in here, all. the. time. During the winter it's not too bad (though it can be) because it's usually bone-chilling cold here in Chicago so I welcome the warmth. However, during the summer our apartment tends to be humid. I start to hate cooking in the summer because we can't grill outside and I usually end up turning on the oven for things like baked potatoes. Ugh. There's nothing more miserable than your home being ungodly warm during the warmest months of the year.

THIS meal is a great alternative to that heat. I got it from my friend Lara (who got it from her best friend, Rachel). This is so, so, SO simple and is absolutely wonderful for a hot summer day. All you need to do is turn on a burner for the pasta! It couldn't be simpler and I couldn't be happier. This is perfect for lunch or dinner and is a real crowd pleaser. My husband is a "red sauce with meatballs on my pasta" kind of guy, and he didn't once complain that this wasn't the rich, heavy pasta he was used to. Before dinner, he even kept telling me that it "smells delicious" so I'm certain that he enjoyed this. Make this. Tomorrow. Especially if it's warm. I have spoken.

Summer Spaghetti
(Adapted from Lara)

3 large tomatoes, chopped
1/4 c. chopped green onion
3 T. fresh parsley, minced
2 cloves garlic (large, if possible), minced
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. fresh oregano, minced
2 tsp. fresh rosemary minced
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 c. olive oil
1/2 lb. spaghetti

In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, onion, parsley, garlic, salt, oregano, rosemary, pepper, and olive oil. Mix well, and let sit at room temperature for at least an hour.

After an hour, boil water for pasta. Salt, and cook pasta to al dente. Drain, and toss with tomato and olive oil mixture. Serve.

Notes:
  • I love the simplicity here. It can't get easier. It's perfect for a summer lunch or quick dinner.
  • You can make this hours ahead of time and chill the mixture--sans olive oil--in the fridge. Take it out about 90 minutes before serving, add the olive oil, mix, and proceed.
  • This is also a great way to use the last few tomatoes in your fridge. You can substitute red or white onions, but I'd suggest sauteing them first to cut out some of their pungentness.
  • I chose spaghetti, and I tend to think that "string" pasta works best here, but that's me. A smaller pasta that can catch "chunks" would work, too.

2 comments:

  1. how can I follow you so that I never miss a post??

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::