Monday, August 24, 2009

Summertime Coq Au Vin



Coq au Vin - chicken in wine. And because it's in wine, it's delicious!

I was looking for something I could throw in my crockpot today because it was my first day back at work. I found this in my Williams-Sonoma slow-cooker cookbook and was hooked, and I'm a bit mad I didn't see this earlier in the summer. I bought my W-S cookbook last spring and had every intention of busting it out during this school year. I'm so glad I found this recipe. It requires a little bit of prep work, but it's really delicious. This is definitely going on our monthly rotation!

Summertime Coq au Vin
(Adapted from Williams-Sonoma)

1 c. flour
Salt and pepper
8 bone-in, skin on chicken thighs
4 T. olive oil
4 shallots, minced
2 c. dry white wine
1 c. chicken stock
4 sprigs fresh parsley
4 sprigs fresh thyme
1 summer squash, diced
4 carrots, peeled and diced
2 c. frozen pearl onions
2 c. sugar snap peas (frozen or fresh)

Season chicken with salt and pepper. Dredge lightly in flour and shake off excess. Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Brown chicken (5 minutes per side) and set aside.

Add shallots to pan and saute 1 minute. Remove skillet from heat and add wine (Don't singe your eyebrows!) followed by chicken stock. Deglaze the pan and bring mixture to a healthy simmer.

Pour wine mixture into the crockpot. Add the chicken, and submerge the parsley and thyme sprigs in the liquid. Throw carrots in, and cook for 2 hours on high or 5 hours on low.

After 2 hours (or 5) uncover and add summer squash, pearl onions, and peas to the crockpot. Submerge them in the cooking liquid. Cover and cook an additional 30 minutes. Serve warm.

Notes:
  • You don't have to use sugar snap peas, but they work beautifully with this dish and they're a little tougher than green beans or regular peas, so they'll hold up well to the cooking time and they won't wilt.
  • You can certainly use frozen carrots or frozen carrot pieces, just throw them in when you add all the other vegetables.
  • I chose to use just chicken thighs instead of breasts or a whole chicken because I prefer thigh meat, but it's really all about preference. The dark meat will take longer to cook, so if you're using a cut up chicken, place the dark meat on the bottom. Boneless breasts should always go at the top so they don't burn.
  • This was perfect for the first day back at school because I didn't have to worry about it. After I browned the chicken I threw everything into my Rival and called it a day! However, because it required all of 12 minutes of my time before my dinner met the crockpot, I'm keeping this in my summertime arsenal!

3 comments:

  1. I would never have thought of this as a weeknight meal, but you make it look so easy! I'll have to try this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do it! It's so good and was super fast. It's also a great alternative to sitting by the stove all afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum - then again, when isn't wine and food yummy?!

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::