Sunday, September 20, 2009

Crash-Hot Potatoes



I first saw these last summer on The Pioneer Woman Cooks. These are so easy and so delicious and they're one of my favorite go-to recipes. They always pack a punch, and with how simple and flavorful they are...what's not to love about them? They can be a bit messy, but that's part of the fun. These pair perfectly with steak and pork. Go make them. Today, if possible.

The only "thing" about these is that the measurements aren't exact and you really need to determine how many potatoes you need before you can make these. Thankfully, these are super adaptable, and that's my favorite kind of food!

P.S. I think I've blogged these before, but....so what?

Crash-Hot Potatoes
(Adapted from The Pioneer Woman)

12 baby red potatoes, or 6 red potatoes, halved
Plenty of water
Olive oil
Kosher salt
Black pepper
Fresh herbs (I use chives and thyme)

Bring a pot of salted water to a rolling boil. Add your potatoes to the water and let them cook for at least 20 minutes, or until they're fork tender. They should *almost* fall apart, but not completely. Heat oven to 450 degrees F.

When they're done, drain them. Drizzle plenty of olive oil over a baking sheet--enough to coat the pan lightly but not so much that the potato bottoms get soggy. (No one likes a soggy bottom.) Place the potatoes on the pan and space them out evenly. You're gonna need plenty of room here.

Using a potato masher, mash down each potato. You should mash down at least halfway, if not completely. Be careful! If you mash down too quickly a rogue potato will fly off the baking sheet and splatter on your kitchen wall. (Trust me. I know of what I speak.) When all potatoes have been mashed down, brush each potato generously with olive oil. Sprinkle each with salt and pepper.

Chop up some fresh herbs (or use dried) and sprinkle over potatoes. Slide potatoes into oven and cook for 25 minutes, or until potatoes are sizzling and golden brown.

Notes:
  • Keep an eye on your potatoes. If you're not careful, they'll burn. Sounds simple enough, but even an extra 5 minutes on these bad boys will scorch 'em.
  • I prefer chives and thyme. It's amazing how different the potatoes taste when I use different herbs. I didn't much care for oregano, but these might be divine with some sage and dill.
  • That being said, I sprinkle each potato with one herb each. I've never mixed and matched, but maybe I will next time. Now I'm curious...
  • Like I said, these are great with steak. They require some prep, but they're great with grilled food. These are definitely worth the time invested!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for re-posting these! I keep meaning to jot down the recipe whenever I see this side pop up on your blog, but I always forget!

    I'm planning to make them this weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::