Sunday, September 20, 2009

Lemon-Thyme Chicken


We're big fans of chicken in this house, er....apartment. Because we eat so much chicken, I'm always looking for new recipes and flavor combinations. I've already got some favorites, but this one has quickly made its way to that list. I saw this on Annie's Eats about a month ago and really wanted to try it. I'm so glad I did, because I'll be making this again and again! It was so simple, and it combined my favorite ingredients with very minimal preparation. What's better than that? Not much, I tell ya.

Lemon-Thyme Chicken
(Adapted from Annie's Eats)
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, butterflied
Salt & pepper
1/2 c. flour
Olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 onion, diced
4 sprigs fresh thyme, minced
2/3 c. white wine
Juice of 1 lemon
2 T. butter

Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper, and dredge in flour (season flour lightly if desired). Shake off excess. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken breasts to pan and cook 2 minutes per side.

Add garlic, onion, and thyme leaves to skillet and saute until soft and fragrant, 1-2 minutes. Remove pan from heat and add the wine (unless, of course, you want to singe your eyebrows off) and bring to a simmer. Cook for a few minutes, reducing the wine and turning chicken once or twice (about 5 minutes).

Squeeze lemon juice into the pan and add the butter. Stir constantly until butter has completely melted. Serve warm, spooning extra sauce over chicken if desired.

Notes:
  • I used this meal as an opportunity to use some of the fresh thyme I had been growing in my "garden" all summer. I love thyme. My mom and grandmother never used it while I was growing up, and I felt like a whole world had been opened up to me! Delicious, man.
  • Nothing smells better than thyme sauteing with onions. Try it, I dare ya.
  • If your sauce is still pretty thin, lower the heat on the skillet and let it simmer for about 4 minutes. It will thicken a little, and the sauce will thicken as it stands, too.
  • I served this with roasted red potatoes and steamed green beans. The chicken goes beautifully with potatoes, but a jasmine rice would also work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::