Sunday, September 20, 2009

Ranch Burgers

Awful apartment lighting! Woo hoo!
I go back and forth with burgers. I like burgers, but if I get a bad one I don't want to touch them anymore. I forget how good they can be! It's not until Graham suggests burgers than I make them, and when I do, I'm reminded that as long as they're not treated terribly during the cooking process, they can be pretty darn good.

This recipe is my own, but it's pretty simple and straight-forward. It's definitely nothing new, but it's a nice take on a burger if you're tired with one that's been slathered with ketchup.

Ranch Burgers
(Angie original)

1 lb. ground beef (or 1 lb. ground beef and 1 lb. ground sirloin, combined)
Salt and pepper
1 envelope ranch dressing mix
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 onion, diced finely
1/2 lb. pepper bacon

Place ground beef in a bowl. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Mix beef together with rach dressing, egg, and onion. Mix well, and form into patties, making a well in the center of each with your thumb (for grabbing with tongs and flipping).

Grill patties over medium-high, about 5 minutes per side, or until cooked through. While patties are grilling, fire up a pan over medium-high and cook bacon to desired doneness. Drain bacon slices on a paper towl.

Toast buns about 2 minutes on the cut side, and assemble burgers with bacon and desired toppings.

Notes:
  • You can't really tell from the photo (it had rained all day, and the lighting was terrible) but I topped my burger with bacon, mayo, and a thick slice of tomato. That's really all I need to be happy.
  • Obviously, if you're using the beef-sirloin combo, you need to double your ingredients.
  • After I was done with my burgers, I got the idea of browning the bacon and then mixing it in with the beef. It might be interesting, but I love bacon-topped burgers. Bacon just makes everything better.
  • Making a well with your thumb makes it easier to grab with tongs and flip because you're not squeezing the burger as much, thus keeping it moist inside. Nobody likes a dry burger, I don't care who you are.

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog! Tried the ranch burgers last night and going to try the pasta tonight! Thanks for the good ideas!! It really helps a busy mom of 3!

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::