Saturday, October 24, 2009

Apple Maple Muffins


I first made these last fall and they had definite potential, but I wasn't crazy about them. I made a few adaptations and I love the final result! They're soft and flavorful and without the touch of dryness that I didn't like last year. Topped with a maple glaze and they're perfect for breakfast on a chilly fall morning.

Apple Maple Muffins

1 & 1/3 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. quick cooking oats
2/3 c. white sugar
1 T. baking powder
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 c. milk
1/4 c. apple cider
1/3 c. butter, melted
1/4 c. real maple syrup (NOT the pancake stuff)
1 egg, lightly beaten
3 to 4 apples, peeled and diced

Maple Glaze:

1/4 c. powdered sugar
2 T. real maple syrup

Heat oven to 400. Grease or line a muffin pan.

In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, and cinnamon. In a smaller bowl, combine milk, apple cider, butter, maple syrup, apple, and egg. Stir into dry ingredients until combined, and gently stir in diced apples.

Fill muffin cups to 3/4 full with muffin batter. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the muffins comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.

For the glaze, combine maple syrup and sugar until well-mixed, and drizzle over warm but not hot muffins.

Notes:
  • Last year, I made the muffins using the maple syrup I had laying around, which was Mrs. Butterworth's or something like that. The muffins didn't really have a maple flavor (which was okay) and the glaze did not work at all. I didn't realize it at the time, but pancake syrup and real maple syrup are two different entities. Using real maple syrup makes all the difference in the world. The muffins had a distinct maple undertone and the maple glaze packs a nice, subtle punch. The lesson? Use real maple syrup. It's worth it, and your muffins will thank you.
  • The cinnamon makes these feel like a warm hug. :-) I love the way they smelled in the oven, and it smelled like apples and cinnamon before I took the muffins out.
  • These make your house smell fabulous. Whip up a bunch before guests come over and it'll smell better than Martha's house at Christmas.

3 comments:

  1. Dammit! I have everything to make these except apple cider! I was going to buy some cider at the farmer's market yesterday but it started pouring and we had to make a run for it before we bought cider. Boo. Hiss.

    Hmm...I wonder if applesauce will work in its place...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Give it a shot, man. You could probably leave it out completely, but the muffins will be a touch dry. Not so much that normal folk would notice, but anal retentives such as myself would.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look great!

    Thanks for leaving a comment at Heaven In The Home.

    I'm the only one that likes coffee at my house, so this tip really works for me!

    Come back to visit soon. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::