Wednesday, October 14, 2009

English Muffin Pizzas


No, I'm totally serious. I made the simplest thing on the planet and blogged it. BAM!

While we were camping, I asked Graham what he wanted to eat this week and as always, he said he'd "think about it." Afterwards, my sister-in-law, Robyn, and I started talking food (naturally!) and we got on the topic of these little beauties. We both agreed that they're beyond ridiculously simple and beyond delicious for a quick snack or a dinner, and Graham said, "English Muffin Pizzas? I'm intruguied. Menu item!"

These were my favorite of favorite camp foods back in the day. I loved being able to build them myself and "cook" my dinner, and the 10 minutes these beauties sat in the toaster oven were the longest 10 minutes of the weekend. To ease us back into the real world after 4 days in the wilderness, I decided "the hell with it" and made some simple, easy comfort food that's both filling and nostalgic (for me at least). These are so simple that if you've never made them, you're going to wonder why the heck you've never made them before. Trust Frazzoo: I know of what I speak.

English Muffin Pizzas
(Angie adaptation of a classic/what I could remember from camp)

3 English muffins (I prefer the kind with the nooks and crannies, but I'm becoming a bread snob)
6 T. marinara sauce
Garlic powder
Onion powder
6 tsp. Italian seasoning (roughly)
Shredded mozzarella cheese

Heat oven to 350 F.

Split your English muffins and lay each half on a lightly greased baking sheet. Spread 2 tablespoons of your marinara on each muffin half.

Lightly season the marinara with the garlic and onion powders and approx. 1 tsp. Italian seasoning.

Load up your muffins with shredded mozzarella--as much as you want, really. Pop those bad boys in the oven for 15-20 minutes and yank 'em out before the cheese burns. Let them cool for a bit and enjoy with your favorite beer.

Notes:
  • 1 muffin is usually pretty good for a serving if it's a snack, I use 3 halves for a meal. Basically, 1-2 muffins is good for a per person serving.
  • You can use bagged or fresh mozz, whatever floats your boat. There's no exact measurement for the cheese because I was shredding to my heart's desire and I likes me some cheese on mah pizza.
  • Like red pepper and parm on your pizza? Add away, my friends. Add away.

2 comments:

  1. YES! Cannot wait to make this b/c I'm one of those people that's heard all about them but never had them. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL @ Bam! Ha! In all seriousness, I had completely forgotten about these. And I have pizza sauce and English muffins in the fridge. BAM!

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::