Saturday, October 3, 2009

Potato Packets



These little packets remind me so much of Girl Scout camp. I loved going to camp, and I loved being able to make food by wrapping it up in a piece of tin foil and letting it sit in the oven or on a grill and then being able to say I made part or all of my dinner. Foil packets were always a camp favorite, probably because they were so easy for the leaders to prepare and toss on the grill. And clean up? Beyond easy.

Because we're going camping in a week, I got a little nostalgic for Girl Scout camp and I decided to make foil packet throwbacks. This time I just did potatoes, but you can do just about anything--sturdy vegetables work best, though.

These are totally simple and great for busy nights. Just put it all in foil and let the oven do the work!

Potato Packets
(Angie original)

1 potato per person
1/2 an onion per person
Sheets of tin foil
2 T. butter per person
1 or 2 T. milk
Salt and pepper
Thyme, dried or fresh

Heat oven to 350 F.

Slice each potato into chunks. A medium-sized dice is what you're looking for. Dice up each onion half into a smallish dice.

Grab your tin foil and roll up the sides a bit to create a boat. Add the potatoes and onions to the packet and top with pats of butter. Season generously with salt and pepper, and splash in milk. Sprinkle on thyme.

Roll up sides of the packets and seal the edges tightly. Bake in oven for 45-60 minutes and serve right on the plates.

Notes:
  • These were just as fun to throw together as I remembered! I loved working on these and I couldn't wait until they were done.
  • Because these are diced up, you don't really need to worry about "the fork test". They'll cook a little faster because they're chopped up.
  • These are a great side for steak or pork chops or just about anything you can grill. Once these go in the oven you don't need to worry about them until dinner time!
  • I prefer dried thyme, but you can use thyme, chives, rosemary, parsley, dill...whatever herb makes your skirt fly up, basically.

1 comment:

  1. I love these! My mom makes them all the time! We also do variations for Greek style or cheesy potatoes.

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::