Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Apple "Pancake"



There are so many things I love. I love my crock pot. I love my husband. I love my friends. But I really, really love autumn. I love the flavors and scents and foods and the chill in the air. It's all so wonderful, isn't it?

I made this for breakfast a few weeks ago when I was suddenly (but happily) home from school because we were closed for 2 days. I was able to sleep in, make a real breakfast, and work in my pjs for half the morning. Yeehaw! Wasn't that the life? This pancake was the perfect thing to kick off our morning, but it wasn't perfect. I'll elaborate down below.

Apple Pancake
(Adapted from Tasty Kitchen)

3 tsp. butter, softened
3-4 whole baking apples, peeled, cored, and sliced no more than 1/4 in. thick
1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. almond extract
3 T. all-purpose flour
3 eggs, separated
3 T. milk

Heat oven to 400 F. Melt butter in a pan over medium heat. Stir in sugar and cinnamon, mix well, and add apple slices. Cook, stirring constantly, until apples are well coated and softened.

In a large bowl, mix egg whites until stiff. Meanwhile in another bowl, mix vanilla, almond extract, flour, egg yolks, and milk until well combined. When egg whites are stiff, gently fold mixture into egg whites.

Lightly grease an 8-inch round cake pan, and pour in apple slices. Pour batter over apple slices and gently smooth out the batter with a spatula. Bake for 20 minutes. Cake bottom should be lightly browned and slightly puffed up. Remove from oven, and gently loosen cake from the pan. Let cool for a few minutes. When pan is easier to handle, place a plate over cake pan and invert pan onto plate. Cut into slices and serve with maple syrup, whipped cream, or ice cream.

Notes:
  • The apples were my favorite part. The cake batter itself was a little to light and bland for me. I think it was the egg whites. Next time, I'll try and make a normal pancake and see if that helps. No matter what, the batter needs to be stiff enough to hold up to the pancake, but a little sweeter for my tastes. Maybe a little sugar is all it needs, or just mixing the eggs whole instead of separating the whites from the yolks.
  • This smells heavenly while it's baking. It's a pancake that's definitely worth the wait.

2 comments:

  1. it looks delicious!I love it! Very creative!That's actually really cool.
    謝謝你的文章分享,請你有空到我

    參觀,Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg, omg! Yum! This looks awesome! Very similar to the one from Walker Bros which we love!

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::