Sunday, November 1, 2009

Creamed Spinach



I love creamed spinach. I mean, I really love creamed spinach. So much so that when Graham told me he wouldn't eat it, even if I begged, my jaw dropped and I thought he was joking. I really love creamed spinach (I'd probably make it every week if I could) so the fact that Graham won't touch it makes me so, so sad. When he told me he was going out of town, I knew it was the one thing I had to make, even if I didn't eat anything else.

This recipe is adapted from The Pioneer Woman. It's not my favorite creamed spinach, but it's pretty darn good. I'm so glad I got to eat some (it's been a while, man), and if nothing else, I've got a decent recipe in my arsenal for later, and maybe I'll have another opportunity to make some creamed spinach!

Creamed Spinach
(Adapted from The Pioneer Woman)

1 stick butter
8 T. all-purpose flour
1 onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 c. milk
Salt and pepper
2 T. butter
24 oz. baby spinach

Melt 1 stick butter over medium in a small pot. Stir in flour and whisk together. This creates your roux. Cook around 5 minutes until mixture is golden brown, stirring occasionally. Add onion and garlic and stir together for 1 minute. Pour in milk, whisking constantly, for 5 minutes.Lower heat and let stand to thicken.

In a large pot, melt remaining butter. Add spinach in large handfuls until all incorporated and cook until it's wilted but with a bit of a crunch to it. This should take about 5 minutes.

Season your cream sauce with salt and pepper to taste. Add spinach to cream sauce and combine well.

Serve with steak and enjoy life.

Notes:
  • I served this with chicken, but this would be great with steak or pork chops and a baked potato.
  • PW suggests serving with nutmeg, and while I left it out, I imagine it'd add a nice little kick without being overpowering.
  • I want to sub heavy cream for this instead of milk and just see how it tastes. My mixture was a little runny--just a little--but I think that was the combination of the butter and the milk, and milk just isn't as thick as the cream so it doesn't 'bind' as well. Cream would make it a little less waistline friendly, but it's creamed spinach--it's not gonna be waistline friendly.
  • This took all of 15 minutes to prepare and serve. Amazing! Why don't I make this more often? Oh, yeah....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::