Saturday, November 7, 2009

Crockpot Salsa Chicken



I'm always a little late to jump on the food blog bandwagon with recipes. This one was really popular about 6 months ago and I was intrigued but never got around to making it. Earlier this week I knew we'd have a busy Wednesday--we each had work meetings--so it was naturally the perfect time to bust out my crockpot.

This is great and comes together super fast. All you do is mix everything together and stir well, then set your crockpot and go to work or do your laundry or haul your recycling to the bins in the park. This recipe is a mix of a few different recipes I've seen online. Most call for Cream of Something soup and I wasn't sure how we'd like the creamy mixture, so I left it out and it was a decision I was glad I made. We both liked this, and it will be going on rotation in our house.

Crockpot Salsa Chicken
(Frazzoo original)
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Salt and pepper
1 1/2 jars chunky salsa (pick your own heat)
1 14 oz. jar of black beans, drained
2 c. frozen corn

Optional:
1 envelope taco seasoning
1 pepper, diced
1 c. sour cream

Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Place in crockpot and add salsa, beans, and corn. (Now is the time to add the optional ingredients if you're using them.) Stir it all together and cook on low 6-9 hours, or high for 4-5. Serve with rice.

Notes:
  • I used the taco seasoning and diced up a red AND green pepper to add to the dish. I'm a rebel, baby. I didn't use the sour cream because once again, Graham tries to avoid anything "creamy". However, you can always top this with a dollop of cream and live it up.
  • I felt that this was actually pretty low-fat. The chicken is lean, and if you use lower fat ingredients, you're golden.
  • With serving, you have 2 options. You can shred the chicken and serve as tacos, or you can do what I did since I was ready to EAT after coming home from my meeting: just serve it up right on your plate and munch on the extra salsa/corn/bean mixture with fried up tortilla chips.
  • Chicken thighs are also a good alternative (and they're cheaper!) but they don't dry out as quickly as chicken breasts do, so you can get away with one jar of salsa.
  • I used a jar and a half because I had a half jar sitting in my fridge. Some recipes suggested adding water to help keep the chicken moist, but the salsa did a dang good job of that.
  • I used all mild ingredients and this was *still* too spicy for my husband. However, I thought this was great and if I was going to make it for me and some girlfriends, I'd up the spice content and go for "medium" at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::