Sunday, November 1, 2009

Easy, breesy, cheesy...eggs!



I love eggs, and I order an omlet or skillet or something similar everytime we go out for breakfast. I don't make them nearly enough at home because Graham doesn't really like egg dishes. If I'm going to go through the trouble of making a breakfast for us, why not make something we can both enjoy, like pancakes? But because Graham was going to be out of town, I figured I could treat myself on Saturday morning with some delcious, cheesy eggs.

This is one of my favorite breakfast foods. When I was in high school I swore I'd "invented" this dish, but it's just a nice variation on a classic. It's simple and comforting and amazing because you can adjust the seasoings and cheeses as you see fit.

Cheesy Egg Omelet
(Angie original)

4 eggs (I always use large, it's just what I keep in my fridge)
A splash milk (probably 1 & 1/2 tsp.)
Salt and pepper
2 T. butter
Cheese

Heat a pan over medium or medium-low heat. In a small bowl, mix together eggs, milk, and a pinch salt and pepper. Mix well.

Melt butter in skillet. Coat well. Add egg mixture to pan. Add cheese to pan, and stir gently. (Either tear the cheese into pieces if using slices/singles, or in small pinches if using shredded.)

Keep stirring eggs gently until eggs are done and aren't runny and cheese is completely melted. Season lightly with salt and pepper.

Notes:
  • For this, I used.....velveeta! There's just something about that processed cheese food that pulls at me. It's been a long time favorite, and when I saw blocks of velveeta on sale at the grocery store a few weeks ago, I couldn't stop myself. It's not gourmet, and it's not fancy, but it's comforting, gosh darnit.
  • This can be made with any kind of cheese you like. I prefer a mixture of mild and sharp cheddar, or jack cheese....mmmmmm, that's good stuff. I use either a thick slice or shred my own.
  • When I'm feeling especially ambitious, I'll dice up half an onion and a bell pepper and saute those in the butter before I add the eggs to the pan. It's just a nice touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::